Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slices of onion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Slices of onion Reply with quote

I was curious about the onion bokeh which people seem to hate. However I have never seen it in the photos I took so I decided to investigate. The specular highlight with circular grooves is caused by a poorly made aspherical surface which distribute the light across the circle of confusion in an uneven, discrete manner. I found the effect most pronounce with the lens set to the minimum focus distance with bright light sources further away. The original Voightlander Nokton 35/1.2 in particular is notorious for its bokeh but I really have to go out of my way to take this photo.

BTW all photos were resized OOC jpg.

With the help of Asuka and some decoration lights, the onions were more reproducible.

Other Voightlander aspheric lenses also exhibited the effect. Nokton 50/1.5 Nikon S here.

Ultron 40/2 SL also produced onions.

With Ultron 35/1.7, you really have to look closely to see the onions. This photo was cropped.

Many modern zooms were known to produce onion bokeh. Here's Lumix 14-140 (first version).

Lumix 20/1.7 (the old one) also showed trace of onion rings, though it is quite hard to see in this resized jpg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this affects many lenses, sadly

Another is Chicken Pox iris reflections, where upon the sensor microlenses reflect back giving the pimple effect

That's why classic lenses are best Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I think it is kinda charming... Embarassed

If you don't like, you can send it to me and I will make good use of it. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing