Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Simple test of two 50mm lenses - help me decide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one would you prefere?
lens A (file 6160)
59%
 59%  [ 19 ]
lens B (file 6198)
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 32

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
the picture sdim6198hrokjs.jpg is more warm
the sdim6160hrrmv4.jpg has a green cast in the right....
am i right?

i prefer sdim6198hrokjs.jpg

my eyes work very well Laughing Laughing Laughing

lens a is better? ugly green cast... IMHO...

Last edited by metallaro1980 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the cast on the right side - the shots weren't taken during the same minute, there was a few minute delay, so angle of the sun changed a bit - maybe there was a small cloud which made the left side darker, anyway, it isn't a typical property of lens A to make right half of the image darker or greener Very Happy I wouldn't take it into account, this is likely my fault Embarassed

The poll is active for 7 days, so I'll reveal it on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
The poll is active for 7 days, so I'll reveal it on Wednesday

too long, I don't know if I will resist so many days, I cannot sleep anymore waiting for the results

no-X wrote:
anyway, it isn't a typical property of lens

typical foveon property Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
As for the cast on the right side - the shots weren't taken during the same minute, there was a few minute delay, so angle of the sun changed a bit - maybe there was a small cloud which made the left side darker, anyway, it isn't a typical property of lens A to make right half of the image darker or greener Very Happy I wouldn't take it into account, this is likely my fault Embarassed

The poll is active for 7 days, so I'll reveal it on Wednesday.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
With Oden on our Side
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

poilu wrote:

typical foveon property Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
barf barf barf Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu, I know what you mean, but color vignetting problem is related to the IR filter (you can remember, that Leica had a bit similar problem a few years ago) and regarding Sigma DSLR cameras this issue appears only when early non-telecentric wide-angle lenses of retrofocal type are used stopped down to f/8 or more (e.g. Primagon 35/4.5).

These are two 50mm standard lenses at f/4.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-x wrote:
poilu, I know what you mean

I was joking Wink
but I still remember your test with the flowers changing colors in 5 minutes and I expect anything Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,142950.html#142950 Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6198 too. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for 6198, because imo its color rendition is a bit more vivid and contrastier (view colors of stucco and sunny spots beneath balconies). However, a little bit of overcast when 6160 was shot might also have caused the difference...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens A wins

Lens A (6160) is Asahi S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4
Lens B (6198) is Asahi S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 @ f4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Lens A wins

Lens A (6160) is Asahi S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4
Lens B (6198) is Asahi S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 @ f4

Funny that A won in the number of votes even though it seemed to me (I won't bother to count) that most people who made a comment preferred B. Well, it was a very close comparison in any case. =)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very close, yes. Both nice images, of course.

But what must I understand? That the macro lens has a long distance rendering almost equal to the great SMC 1,4? Perhaps. Yes, it seems to be so. And that the two are nice? Yes.

I should vote for the B too. The IQ of the 1,4 is known for me, I use this lens like my normal ones.
But when I saw the greenish tonality I thought in pancolar-planar.

Thanks No-x.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing I almost asked "Takumars?" Thank you no-X! The comparison of these very same lenses @F/4 has been on my list of things to do for a long time! I have wondered if one was sharper. Imho we have seen here that the macro has more contrast and flat-field sharpness, and that the normal is as sharp as the macro, has smoother changes toward out-of-focus regions where macro out-of-focus changes are more abrupt due to more contrast.