Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Silver Band
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Silver Band Reply with quote

Taken yesterday. Lenses was the Tamrom SP 35-210
RAW files with PP.

for those who don't already know the Tamron SP 35-210mm is a very versatile lens. Maybe a bit big for some tastes but IMO it produces great results for full details of lens see
Adaptall-2.com

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd just poke my nose in and say thanks for these pics Rob. While you were taking them I was busy playing with my band at Marlow Regatta. I play a euphonium, like the man in your second pic (my instrument is a lot cleaner and shinier than his though! Smile)

Obviously I hardly ever get a chance to take any decent pics of the band while I'm playing, but when I've tried I found it's a really difficult subject. The way a band is arranged on the platform, huddled round the conductor, all facing towards the centre and hiding behind their music stands, means you can't get a decent group shot, and you can't get in amongst them to take close-ups, apart from the back of peoples' heads. Compare this to a choir, with everyone facing the same way. So I think your shots of the band in action are really well done. I saw you climbed up on the railing, I bet they loved you!

I don't know the Tamron 35-210, I tend to shy away from large range zooms, but I can see it would be very useful on an occasion like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment. I found the band to be a great subject.
When performing on a bandstand you get shots from any angle, much easier than a stage.
I took a lot more photos, which may show the full versatility of a zoom like the 35-210.
I did speak to the band and its leader before they started their performance and asked if they minded me taking the photos and also mentioned I may do my silly trick.
I would not have been so impolite to do it without their consent.
Ask and explain yourself and people are always very nice and cooperative.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like you had a nice day. The faces reflecting in the instruments looks interesting to me Smile

A dream of mine is to photograph an opera-performence! I think that would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Look like you had a nice day. The faces reflecting in the instruments looks interesting to me Smile

A dream of mine is to photograph an opera-performence! I think that would be fantastic.

Yes I agree but better to photograph the dress rehearsal and also the preparations.
I have been lucky to have done a few theatre projects. All the people, technicians etc and not just the players are always very helpful and enjoy having a photographer with them.
You should try approaching your local theatre company, an amateur one is a good start and should present you with loads of opportunities for great shots.
Your local theatre is also a good source of Gels for your flash units.