Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Super Wide II (AF) and Miniwide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Sigma Super Wide II (AF) and Miniwide Reply with quote

Just a quick question. Are these lenses using similar optical designs, with the Super Wide having an AF design grafted on afterwards?

I ask because I'm very happy with the Super Wide II for shots underground, despite the scratches on the front of the lens and terminally broken AF (I doubt the would bother anyone on this forum!). I would like to replace it, but the AF Superwide II's are going for more money than I want to spend on a lens that will go underground, and likely need stripped after a number of trips (Slate dust get's into everything on your camera!), and an MF lens is far easier to strip & Clean. Added to the fact that even with insane lighting, it's nigh-on impossible to use AF Underground, I can't see a case for the Superwide *IF* they share the same optical design.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you, Sigma in general has built way too many variations of their lenses (the UC-style lenses for instance, come in two or three finishes .. AF-lambda, AF-epsilon, whatever, and who knows about the variations in the glass itself?)

However, I do think I have seen Super-Wide for Minolta non-AF, i.e. M MC/MD mount. They were not quite as sought after (perhaps to change with the proliferation of Evil cameras).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also two or three versions of the minwide as far as I know

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Quantaray" (in the US?) and "Exakta" also sold lenses that <ahem> looked very much like Sigmas. However I am not so sure about the Super-Wide II, that may have been the top of the line prestige object; if it were a 28-70 ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
However I am not so sure about the Super-Wide II, that may have been the top of the line prestige object; if it were a 28-70 ...

The lens I am thinking of, is a 24mm Prime. The link is the first Google Image Search hit. There appears to be multiple versions of the this lens from that search... I never paid the images much heed before, and never noticved.
http://whitby.canadianlisted.com/photo-cameras/sigma-super-wide-ii-24mm-f2-8-autofocus-for-canon-af_467526.html

I like the pictures it produces, scratched elements and all. But I would like a version that doesn't cost the £75+ that they are now fetching. I was hoping the manual Mini-wide would be of a similar optical design, without the AF.