Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma APO Macro 180mm 1:5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Sigma APO Macro 180mm 1:5.6 Reply with quote

Here is a strange lens that I've never seen before.
So I got it to do some testing.

It's equipped with the excellent Minolta mount. One of my favorites.

First impressions.

Very compact.

As you can see it does not extend when focusing. I actually thought it was broken for a second because it seemed that nothing happened when focusing.
But it worked. However the focusing feels a bit unsmooth.

I guess the blue number 2 indicates 1:2 magnification factor.

#3 That's a good looking front lens!

Test shots taken with a Sony A7:

Pretty good but not amazing. I think the good 90-100mm macro lenses produces better results but if you need 180mm this will get the job done.

They are taken with raw format and I have increased brightness and contrast.

#6 At MFD

#7 100% crop at MFD.

#9 APO test

#10 About 400% side crop. Not much CA.

#12 Can it do birds? Yes.

#13 crop.

#15 crop

#16 Upgrade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little lens. Started the same thread a week ago Wink

http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-180mm-f-5-6-apo-t84984.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice shots, just as the AF version of caspert (if i remember correctly yours is af, right?)
i wonder how big are these comparing to Minolta apo 200mm?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. It really is a great value lens. It's sharp at any distance (albeit not easy to set perfect focus) from f/5.6. It's very light and compact (lighter than the Voigtländer 4/180 APO, a bit longer, though). It's 1:2 Macro lens with very nice bokeh. I really like to take it on hikes in the mountains.
It's lacking a bit of contrast, but that's usually not a problem in post.
If you're interested I can look for a couple of pictures tomorow.

Regards, Rolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Oh I missed that post somehow.

Mine isn't sticky either, is it the same material/build quality?
Nor was it expensive!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backsidewalkaround wrote:
Congrats. It really is a great value lens. It's sharp at any distance (albeit not easy to set perfect focus) from f/5.6. It's very light and compact (lighter than the Voigtländer 4/180 APO, a bit longer, though). It's 1:2 Macro lens with very nice bokeh. I really like to take it on hikes in the mountains.
It's lacking a bit of contrast, but that's usually not a problem in post.
If you're interested I can look for a couple of pictures tomorow.

Regards, Rolf

Please do show some shots!

Yes I agree the short throw made it a bit hard do nail focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Looks very good indeed.

Thanks! Like 1

kiddo wrote:
very nice shots, just as the AF version of caspert (if i remember correctly yours is af, right?)
i wonder how big are these comparing to Minolta apo 200mm?

The Minolta looks like a beast in comparison!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optically reasonable from the looks of it.

But judging by how close together the f/22 hyperfocal distance markers are, I would find this lens utterly impossible to focus accurately at f/5.6.

On a macro lens that goes down to 1:2 magnification you really want a near full (340 degrees or so) rotation of the focus grip to cover the full focus throw.

The other noticeable issue are the screen-printed markings rubbing off, especially on SIGMA's notorious degrading soft-touch "ZEN" finish.

(Those are gripes I have with many third party lenses, the totally impractical focus sensitivity and the lack of engraved markings).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

Please do show some shots!

Yes I agree the short throw made it a bit hard do nail focus.

All images have been processed to my liking. The landscape image is a multi shot panorama, that I scaled down and sharpened to 6000px. The one with the chamoise is badly focussed (if you look closely) and has been denoised with the new LR engine.

Please view large (somehow the images that are transformed for the thread aren't showing the actual performance).

Last edited by backsidewalkaround on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Oh I missed that post somehow.

Mine isn't sticky either, is it the same material/build quality?
Nor was it expensive!

Yours has been cleaned already.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sigma APO Macro 180mm 1:5.6 Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

This is my example that i have for some years now.

It was introduced somewhere in de early 90's together with a 2.8/180mm that was extremely heavy en gigantic in size.

At the time it was introduced my want-have-list contained something like 'one of those two'. The first time i saw one was on a camera fair where i picked the 5.6 manual version.
To my surprise the next i saw in reality was the 2.8 on the same fair, only 30 meters away from the 5.6 so i had them both on the same day.
The 2.8 is very bulky but a good performer. Mine suffered from the Sigma Zen-disease and the focussing ring got stuck. Lens is 'waiting on possible repair'.

The 5.6 is a pleasure to use in combination with an EVF, quite easy to focus and a good performer (i also have the AF 3.5/180mm HSM that is much faster but a real monster to lug around)

To get things complete i also found the AF-version 5.6/180mm in Japan, a very nice example that looks and feels like new.

The 180mm is very useful for shy insects. The small size of the 5.6 makes it less detectable for insects than the faster 180's that are much larger in size.

Examples

Argiope bruennichi by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Ischnura elegans by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Macroglossum stellatarum by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Aeshna mixta by Ouwesok, on Flickr

I use both the AF and MF-version of this one. As soon as the insects appear in the fields they are my most used lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the results look great, very clean and with very good bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots guys!

I'm grateful that someone has already polished my example, I hate sticky lenses and cameras Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Nice shots guys!

I'm grateful that someone has already polished my example, I hate sticky lenses and cameras Wink

It beggars belief that those soft-touch elastomer coatings haven't been banned yet. The mountain of waste generated by people throwing away soft-touch-turned-sticky tat & electronic gadgets... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
blotafton wrote:
Nice shots guys!

It beggars belief that those soft-touch elastomer coatings haven't been banned yet. The mountain of waste generated by people throwing away soft-touch-turned-sticky tat & electronic gadgets... Rolling Eyes

Not only that, but - more cumbersome - the probable use of lots of plasticizer to get the recommended "softness" ... nasty stuff indeed.

S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sigma APO Macro 180mm 1:5.6 Reply with quote

Really beautiful pics here! Love the hummingbird moth.

Ouwesok wrote:
blotafton wrote:

This is my example that i have for some years now.

It was introduced somewhere in de early 90's together with a 2.8/180mm that was extremely heavy en gigantic in size.

At the time it was introduced my want-have-list contained something like 'one of those two'. The first time i saw one was on a camera fair where i picked the 5.6 manual version.
To my surprise the next i saw in reality was the 2.8 on the same fair, only 30 meters away from the 5.6 so i had them both on the same day.
The 2.8 is very bulky but a good performer. Mine suffered from the Sigma Zen-disease and the focussing ring got stuck. Lens is 'waiting on possible repair'.

The 5.6 is a pleasure to use in combination with an EVF, quite easy to focus and a good performer (i also have the AF 3.5/180mm HSM that is much faster but a real monster to lug around)

To get things complete i also found the AF-version 5.6/180mm in Japan, a very nice example that looks and feels like new.

The 180mm is very useful for shy insects. The small size of the 5.6 makes it less detectable for insects than the faster 180's that are much larger in size.

Examples

Argiope bruennichi by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Ischnura elegans by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Macroglossum stellatarum by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Aeshna mixta by Ouwesok, on Flickr

I use both the AF and MF-version of this one. As soon as the insects appear in the fields they are my most used lenses.