Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sigma 120-300 f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: sigma 120-300 f2.8 Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy a sigma 120-300 f2.8 with an AF non functioning for a good price

does any one have some feed backs on repairing this king of lens (prices, possibilities etc... etc....)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i guess it's going to be hard to repair such a lens. It must be really tight and complicated inside.
If the AF doesn't work it could be the flat cable that sends the pulses to the motor. In that case the repair would be inexpensive but still hard to disassemble a beast of this kind.
Does it work in MF? If so, any price below 800 euros is very good.
I used to have a Sigma 24-70 2.8 and i broke the cable for the aperture communication. The lens was unusable (it gave me err 99) and when i asked Sigma to send me the cable they sent me the new version which was incompatible with my lens because the lens chip is totally different (they didn't have the old one anymore, i guess there were 2 revisions of the lens) .
So, i don't know, try to understand what's the problem and you could end up buying it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the idea is not to repair it myself, but to ask sigma to do it

the price is far below 800€

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
the idea is not to repair it myself, but to ask sigma to do it

the price is far below 800€

I'd buy it anyway, i guess.
Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent with email address of my repair man.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Sigma first, they'll charge you through the nose IF they even still have the parts

"no AF" could also mean "dumb glass" as in "no communication with camera" - depending on system, this may be really bad. For instance, on [most] Sony/Minolta bodies, it's effectively dead weight, since even though technically these could do focus dot [the sensors are in camera], exposure [same] and aperture control [mechanically by in-camera lever] just fine, the firmware just refuses to, so you're stuck with open-wide in M mode.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right but a manual 120-300 2.8 for less than 800 euros is still a good price to me.
As i said i mailed Sigma UK but i had to know exactly what the issue was and they couldn't help me with the right spare part (i discovered it once i got the package at my door, it was the new rev. of that cable Sad ) .