Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shooting style by geographic region
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another beautiful example of Oriental style Meyer Domiron 50mm f2.0
Photographer Hengkiyawan Bayu Nugroho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we see examples of western style? what about Central style?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen and from what I've understood Attila to say, it seems to have much to do with having the specular highlights in the background. In the most recent examples, the lenses were slower than the f/1 Noctilux, thus took on a more well defined bokeh. I wonder how those shots would have been taken if they were using the Noctilux. None of those pictures would have had the round highlights if they were stopped down from anything other than a round iris diaphragm.

From all of this, what I am understanding of "Oriental" style is not just shooting wide open, but seeking out opportunities where the background will create the bokeh circles. I do not yet understand whether or not any thought goes into aperture selection beyond wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any oriental style in the following photos? Or only Calvin's style? Wink

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
First two.

I am not sure but the last one is a good sample for Calvin's style. You can see the dragon on the right and the fire breath on the lower right corner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos by Don Hong-Oai is best examples for the 'old' oriental style.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lythia/sets/72157608924394296/with/3023819895/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

All superb indeed, many thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
From what I've seen and from what I've understood Attila to say, it seems to have much to do with having the specular highlights in the background. In the most recent examples, the lenses were slower than the f/1 Noctilux, thus took on a more well defined bokeh. I wonder how those shots would have been taken if they were using the Noctilux. None of those pictures would have had the round highlights if they were stopped down from anything other than a round iris diaphragm.

From all of this, what I am understanding of "Oriental" style is not just shooting wide open, but seeking out opportunities where the background will create the bokeh circles. I do not yet understand whether or not any thought goes into aperture selection beyond wide open.

yes and if not bokeh circles, exciting busy background, not just plain or if plain very swallow depth of field etc, #1-#2 Calvin, pretty typical Oriental style.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7

#1 shoot in my usual western style

#2 shoot with applied oriental style

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7

#2 shoot with applied oriental style

I think a Biotar/Helios 1.5/75 will give a more oriental look on this photo.

Last edited by calvin83 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the oriental style described by Attila becomes popular when DSLR are affordable. More and more people following this style when they have acquire exotic lenses from the West with online purchase. Best lenses too take oriental style photos are those over-corrected fast telephotos.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Biotar is better, but rather photographer dependent

Photographer Songheryuan An look his portfolio

This is Pancolar 50mm, nothing expensive or exotic

http://flic.kr/p/keuRGH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The subject to background distance is the key. A lens with more field curvature will help too (this is the reason why people here love fast Oscilloscope lenses!).

The way i see oriental style is use the characteristic of lens to make the photo more artistic. This includes but not limited to nice flares, pleasant bokeh circles and exciting busy backgrounds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
... pleasant bokeh circles and exciting busy backgrounds.

Two different things in my mind. I will write at more length later when not working. I find this topic very interesting and much different from our usual chit-chat, but perhaps I just haven't been to the right forums.

Might we consider these "oriental" style?

And this drunken Oriental style?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Yes. The subject to background distance is the key. A lens with more field curvature will help too (this is the reason why people here love fast Oscilloscope lenses!).

The way i see oriental style is use the characteristic of lens to make the photo more artistic. This includes but not limited to nice flares, pleasant bokeh circles and exciting busy backgrounds.

yes , need to master it once it is done, you can do with more lenses, like above example says.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, surely these are oriental, style.

Oriental style did hit me well, I try to apply in my shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
... pleasant bokeh circles and exciting busy backgrounds.

Two different things in my mind. I will write at more length later when not working. I find this topic very interesting and much different from our usual chit-chat, but perhaps I just haven't been to the right forums.

And this drunken Oriental style?

This is the right forum for this topic because we have members from most part of the world. However, not everyone will have the interest to know more on the style in the other part of the world.

I will consider the first and the last are more typical oriental style.

@Attila
I am not good at taking Oriental style photo but I will try take some for demonstration.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More samples with a slow, long MFD lens.

http://forum.mflenses.com/piesker-picon-135mm-f3-5-on-nex-5n-in-oriental-style-t64688.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there have been studies where researchers tracked the eye movement of Western and Eastern people as they looked at several paintings, photographs, and other images. Westerners consistently focused on the central and foreground subjects, while Easterners consistently gave equal weight to the entire picture, focusing on background elements far more than Westerners had.

This can be noted when comparing art made in Japan, China, etc. against European art, especially earlier works (as in later times they may have influenced each other). Maybe in photography, many Easterners feel like the background needs to be nearly as interesting as the subject, so having interesting bokeh is important.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Those are wonderful images. He loved great depth of field and to include something in the foreground.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to issue a challenge !!! Shocked With the weekend upon us and this thread having become a hot topic, the challenge is to use the weekend to take "Oriental style" pictures and post here during the weekend or Monday at the latest. Two rules: must be this style of image, and must be taken between now and Sunday. Oh one other thing, enjoy doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need any limitation other than Oriental style, have fun! Look forward your shoots!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobiusone wrote:
I believe there have been studies where researchers tracked the eye movement of Western and Eastern people as they looked at several paintings, photographs, and other images. Westerners consistently focused on the central and foreground subjects, while Easterners consistently gave equal weight to the entire picture, focusing on background elements far more than Westerners had.

This can be noted when comparing art made in Japan, China, etc. against European art, especially earlier works (as in later times they may have influenced each other). Maybe in photography, many Easterners feel like the background needs to be nearly as interesting as the subject, so having interesting bokeh is important.

Welcome!

I agrees with you. There is a different on how we see the paintings and photographs etc. The way we see have significant influence on the style of our work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I would like to issue a challenge !!! Shocked With the weekend upon us and this thread having become a hot topic, the challenge is to use the weekend to take "Oriental style" pictures and post here during the weekend or Monday at the latest. Two rules: must be this style of image, and must be taken between now and Sunday. Oh one other thing, enjoy doing it.

If you want challenge, use a slow telephoto lens with long minimum focus distance like my Piesker Picon 135mm F3.5. There is no limits in Oriental style but the photos must be nice.

I copy the photos to here for reference. You should also post it to MFL section to attracts other join this thread.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total