Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shadow Detail Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Shadow Detail Question Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I may be having an issue with my monitor. The other day looked at my pBase site to show a picture to a friend who has a regularly calibrated monitor (The monitor I was seeing is at a pro lab) I saw a picture that shows was a bit dark on my monitor (A LaCie electron blue).
When seen through his monitor the picture was much brighter and showed a good bit more shadow detail.
The question is: Am I running my monitor too dark? Do you see good shadow detail?
Here’s the pic.

St Elena Canyon in Big Bend National Park, Mamiya 645AFD, older 45mm Mamiya Secor C lens (MF), HP4+ film, processed in coffee
Thanks much for your replies.

Jules

Last edited by lulalake on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on mine, that's pretty damn perfect, though I can imagine it a smidge darker and still retaining shadow detail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok on my monitor, IMO it just needs a combo tweak of contrast and brightness.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow detail looks o.k. on my computer. Even if it would be a bit darker the shadows would be o.k.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My screen is calibrated as well, and I think your monitor is set too dark.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shadow details
go there for lcd test images
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!!! and perfect on mine I have a cheap Viewsonic VA1918wm.Even with a plastic protection screen in front to keep the mess off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others. I'm using an AOC 22" flat screen, which I bought for a pretty cheap price. But I've found it to be quite accurate when it comes to color and contrast. Anyway, you could probably bump up the contrast a fair amount before you'll start seeing the shadows start to block up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks fine on my little eee pc screen ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very, very much for your responses.

Apparently I have fallen into the darker-is-better (in terms of monitor brightness) myth. It’s simply less accurate. I upped the midrange on my monitor and realized that most of my pics have been too light for my own taste even.

Thanks again

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules wrote:
Apparently I have fallen into the darker-is-better (in terms of monitor brightness) myth. It’s simply less accurate. I upped the midrange on my monitor and realized that most of my pics have been too light for my own taste even

a good lcd keep contrast whatever the brightness setting
I am happy with mine as I change brightness between midday and night
now I am almost at minimum brightness and have no problem see all the shadows

source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:

Apparently I have fallen into the darker-is-better (in terms of monitor brightness) myth. It’s simply less accurate. I upped the midrange on my monitor and realized that most of my pics have been too light for my own taste even.

Thanks again

Jules

Well for me, to have the correct gamma, brightness etc for photos makes windows, word and other programs look bleached out......I prefer a darker screen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
lulalake wrote:

Thanks again

Jules

Well for me, to have the correct gamma, brightness etc for photos makes windows, word and other programs look bleached out......I prefer a darker screen.

Yes, I prefer it also but, three things: One it makes my pictures look better on most peoples monitors and two; I use my computer for photography related task about 85% of the time.

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Jules wrote:
Apparently I have fallen into the darker-is-better (in terms of monitor brightness) myth. It’s simply less accurate. I upped the midrange on my monitor and realized that most of my pics have been too light for my own taste even

a good lcd keep contrast whatever the brightness setting
I am happy with mine as I change brightness between midday and night
now I am almost at minimum brightness and have no problem see all the shadows

source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Hello Poilu, I use a CRT whis is a little different.