Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Retina-Curtar-Xenar C 35/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Schneider Retina-Curtar-Xenar C 35/4 Reply with quote

So a lens I won on eBay just arrived, a Schneider Retina-Curtar-Xenar C 35/4 -- except that's not what I bid on! I thought I was getting a DKL-mount lens! It was cheap; the seller has already refunded my money and told me to keep it; and I wonder what to do with it. I hold it up to my camera and see an image when it is fairly distant, so I mount it on macro tubes.

(I have a trick: use contact cement to glue the lens body to a thin macro ring as a make-shift adapter -- and the glue dissolves easily if I want the lens in its original condition.)

So I mount the lens, but it is much longer than 35mm, more like 80-85mm. Huh? Then I think, OH YEAH! This is for a Retina-C class camera, with rear lens elements built into the body like a Sockel mount. Those rear elements must be effectively a retrofocus group. If their magnification is 0.4x, then the lens is something like 87.5mm... but what aperture? My initial test shots on this dim night make it seem like it's slower than f/4 even.

I am perplexed. Does anyone here know anything about Retina-C rear element optics?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some diagrams in flickr if i remember but cannot find them now .. my corporate firewall is blocking it Sad

Otherwise i had one of those lenses too but unfortunately the coverage without the last element was very poor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

as sson as you see the "C" in Retina lenses, you know that it will not be a DKL mount, but part of a lens only.
The rear part is indeed integrated in the camera.
What you might consider is buy a suitable camera Laughing

DKL lenses often come at considerably higher prices Sad

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f6cvalkyrie wrote:
as sson as you see the "C" in Retina lenses, you know that it will not be a DKL mount, but part of a lens only.

The eBay seller described one lens but shipped another. I didn't know it was a C-type until it arrived. As I said, my money was refunded and I have the lens. Come daylight, I may find how usable it is.

I am merely curious about how to label the lens by itself. Mounted on a Retina-C camera, it is indeed 35/4. Without the rear elements, what is it? As I said, my rough estimate of focal length is ~85mm, but I can't guess the aperture. Are the Retina-C rear elements a retrofocal group? My optical understanding of retrofocals is quite limited. My knowledge of rear elements in interchangeable systems like Retina-C and Sockel, is zero.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinks i found the link, but it looks like it's actually 3 elements behind the shutter.. not just 1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alf_sigaro/3533292455/in/set-72157600277879364/