Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang vs. Nikkor 85mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Samyang vs. Nikkor 85mm f1.4 Reply with quote

http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/samyang-85mm-f14-ae-part-2.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for the nth time, someone again proved that with camera optics, the last 20% of performance will double the price.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe it is excellent that there exists lots of choice between lenses, because amateur use does not necessitate professional tools/quality. That aside, as a full-time photographer I love dealing with amateurs who bought too expensive equipment and sell it little used Razz

On a side-note, I'm getting the Nikkor 85/1.4G AF-S shortly. It will be very interesting to see how it compares with the Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 ZF. I suspect I will keep the Planar for studio portraits and use the Nikkor for location portraits and documentary work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
So, for the nth time, someone again proved that with camera optics, the last 20% of performance will double the price.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe it is excellent that there exists lots of choice between lenses, because amateur use does not necessitate professional tools/quality. That aside, as a full-time photographer I love dealing with amateurs who bought too expensive equipment and sell it little used Razz

On a side-note, I'm getting the Nikkor 85/1.4G AF-S shortly. It will be very interesting to see how it compares with the Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 ZF. I suspect I will keep the Planar for studio portraits and use the Nikkor for location portraits and documentary work.

I've not run into that kind of amateur. The type I like are the ones who think that the latest, most expensive equipment will make them better photographers. They see a new lens come out and sell the old for a bargain.

I used to have an acquaintance like that--thought equipment made the photographer. He has upgraded his digital SLRs almost every time a new model comes out, switching from a Nikon D200 to a D300 about 1 1/2 years ago. But, he hadn't spoken to me since I bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D700. Recently, he showed up at one of my fave hangouts to show me his new Canon super-megapixel and matching "L" lenses. He started telling me how much better his Canon was, and how his photography had grown by leaps and bounds since he dumped his Nikon gear. He showed me some photos, emphasizing how 'sharp' they were, unlike 'low megapixel' cameras. Apparently, I damaged his ego by buying a "better" camera than he had.

His whole purpose was to brag about having better equipment than I, which was true. However, he was confusing better equipment with better photography. So, I decided to change the game.

I pulled out my laptop and showed him a few pix my wife had taken. He was quite impressed. He was surprised that my D700 (with 'only' 12mp) and my stable of used, mostly MF lenses could take pictures that nice. But my wife hates my D700--too heavy (she's not wrong about that). She used an old Nikon D40 (6mp) and a Nikon 28-300/3.5-5.6 consumer zoom (she also hates switching lenses). I don't think he believed me, but he was missing the point anyway. My wife isn't interested in equipment, she's an artist, so composition, balance, colors, etc, all were as they should have been. New equipment can't help you with those things.

I haven't heard from him since. I'm not sure if he was embarrassed or thinks I was lying. Too bad. The truth is, my photography is much better now than it used to be, but NOT because I have better equipment. My photography started improving when I started learning about fundamentals of art, thanks to my wife.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:

I've not run into that kind of amateur. The type I like are the ones who think that the latest, most expensive equipment will make them better photographers. They see a new lens come out and sell the old for a bargain.

I used to have an acquaintance like that--thought equipment made the photographer. He has upgraded his digital SLRs almost every time a new model comes out, switching from a Nikon D200 to a D300 about 1 1/2 years ago. But, he hadn't spoken to me since I bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D700. Recently, he showed up at one of my fave hangouts to show me his new Canon super-megapixel and matching "L" lenses. He started telling me how much better his Canon was, and how his photography had grown by leaps and bounds since he dumped his Nikon gear. He showed me some photos, emphasizing how 'sharp' they were, unlike 'low megapixel' cameras. Apparently, I damaged his ego by buying a "better" camera than he had.

His whole purpose was to brag about having better equipment than I, which was true. However, he was confusing better equipment with better photography. So, I decided to change the game.

I pulled out my laptop and showed him a few pix my wife had taken. He was quite impressed. He was surprised that my D700 (with 'only' 12mp) and my stable of used, mostly MF lenses could take pictures that nice. But my wife hates my D700--too heavy (she's not wrong about that). She used an old Nikon D40 (6mp) and a Nikon 28-300/3.5-5.6 consumer zoom (she also hates switching lenses). I don't think he believed me, but he was missing the point anyway. My wife isn't interested in equipment, she's an artist, so composition, balance, colors, etc, all were as they should have been. New equipment can't help you with those things.

I haven't heard from him since. I'm not sure if he was embarrassed or thinks I was lying. Too bad. The truth is, my photography is much better now than it used to be, but NOT because I have better equipment. My photography started improving when I started learning about fundamentals of art, thanks to my wife.

Haha, I love these stories!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:

Yes, exactly same kind of guy. Buys newest gear and blames equipment when photos are not great. Sells little used lenses when interest fades and he realizes it does not make sense to invest that much money in a hobby.

Samyang is for the sensible user, who knows what he is buying. Their product position is one of clearly give great value for money

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, for a new lens and the image quality for the price it is hard to ignore the Samyang.

Against the Summilux 80mm 1.4;

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8293

now, as an amateur, can I see a £2500 difference in output quality? nope.

but then again, if I could afford the Leica, I could probably afford the lens too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:
I think, for a new lens and the image quality for the price it is hard to ignore the Samyang.

Against the Summilux 80mm 1.4;

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8293

now, as an amateur, can I see a £2500 difference in output quality? nope.

but then again, if I could afford the Leica, I could probably afford the lens too.

Wow, Samyang bokeh at f/1.4 is smoother Smile
Well, soft doesn't mean the best, and I like harsh bokeh too for artistic reason, but it's bloody smooth indeed.

By the way the color seems little bit muted and less contrasty than Leica, is it? or it's just my eye?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

By the way the color seems little bit muted and less contrasty than Leica, is it? or it's just my eye?

Nope. Not just your eye. It's subtle, but the color isn't as nice as my better Nikkors, let alone a Summicron. I often use a warming filter on mine, especially with slide film.

It seems like a minor price to pay for such an inexpensive lens. That, and I'm not excited by its performance stopped down past f/2.8. Then again, I didn't buy it to stop it down--my Nikkor 105/2.5 handles that task just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang is nice, yet the contrast is definitely on the low side. If Samyang improves coatings on this one, it will be a killer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:

Ok, I'm selling my 5D mkii and my L lenses and buying a Holga. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, You don't need much for refunding, the Holga is cheap! So can we talk about your price for the Canon Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
The Samyang is nice, yet the contrast is definitely on the low side. If Samyang improves coatings on this one, it will be a killer.

This was shot with the 85/1.4 UMC AE version for Nikon, it`s the multicoated chipped version...check the original on pbase, i don`t know why my images get so compressed here, thus robbed of all the contrast and saturation

the original:

http://www.pbase.com/tomasg_71/image/130316397