Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Infrared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Infrared Reply with quote

I bought one of these lenses recently to stick on the front of my Canon 5D MkII, and in a full-frame context I've written the following blog post about it:
http://women-and-dreams.blogspot.com/2010/05/samyang-14mm-f28-action-time-and-vision.html

The image at the top was taken with a Kodak DCS 760 using an infrared filter, and I was intrigued by the results and so bought a Canon 10D cheaply and had it converted to infrared by the lovely men and women at Protech Repairs here in the UK.

On a 10D the 14mm becomes a 22mm, which is still wide, and the distortion is much easier to correct because the "handlebar" of the moustache is outside the frame.

And so without further ado here are some images I shot last week, during a rare period of sunshine in England, with this lens and an infrared-converted 10D. All at f/11, with minus one exposure compensation. At f/11 the images are sharp across the frame on a 10D. None of them were corrected for distortion. The trees in the first image are actually bent like that in real life:

And here's a before and after shot, before bumping up the contrast and swapping the red and blue colour channels:

It seems to have a very mild and diffuse hotspot in the middle. There is a trick you can do with DCRaw whereby you process the RAW files without demosaicing, apparently because the dyes in the Bayer filter pass infrared equally and so you end up with a pixel-level six megapixel original. This worked well with my Kodak DCS 560 but doesn't result in any greater resolution with the 10D, perhaps because the filter is less strong.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice atmosphere, great results

I also love your blog Smile
Quote:
For example, we could solve the twin problems of Britain's pension deficit and Iceland's ash-belching volcano by rounding up all of Britain's pensioners, sticking them in a big aeroplane, and dropping them into the crater. They would plug up the hole and hopefully also cool the volcano down

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Absolutely amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic results! Amazing how the PP makes it better. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very impressive images. Well done Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!!!!!

Just a question, the converted 10D, is there an infrared filter on it(R72, 720 nm IR pass), or not.

I notice that there is real colour information in there, so I'm thinking that the 10D has just the IR blocking filter removed (and optical glass substituted), providing both IR and colour info, rather than blocking out most of the visible light.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your images are surreal! Well done!