Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C Takumar 2/35mm without open-aperture metering pin/lug?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: S-M-C Takumar 2/35mm without open-aperture metering pin/lug? Reply with quote

Perhaps some of our resident Takumar experts could help me out?

I was under the impression that, along with the adoption of multi-coated optics, the S-M-C series of lenses had a redesigned mount with an open-aperture lug for the Pentax ES, ESII, and F. Is it possible that some of the early ones do not? My recently acquired S-M-C 2/35mm's mount is the typical one present on any Super Tak. It certainly looks multi-coated but I still just want to confirm that the nameplate was not simply swapped out. Thanks in advance!

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: S-M-C Takumar 2/35mm without open-aperture metering pin/ Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

I was under the impression that, along with the adoption of multi-coated optics, the S-M-C series of lenses had a redesigned mount with an open-aperture lug for the Pentax ES, ESII, and F. Is it possible that some of the early ones do not? My recently acquired S-M-C 2/35mm's mount is the typical one present on any Super Tak. It certainly looks multi-coated but I still just want to confirm that the nameplate was not simply swapped out. Thanks in advance!

~Marc

Yes, it is possible. These things happened around the same time, but not necessarily together.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but posting part of the serial number might help the Asahi experts...it may have been a really early one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's possible the mount/helicoid was swapped at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, mine has the lug and has a serial starting 593xxxx.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the number on the camera side of the Auto/Man switch? 43832 is S-M-C, 43891 is Super. Thinking here that part is harder to swap or fake. Gerjan doesn't mention anything about a S-M-C version without lug.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My S-M-C is 43932, was the above number a typo?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A/M switch reads 43931. The serial is 4493151.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: S-M-C Takumar 2/35mm without open-aperture metering pin/ Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

~Marc

Somebody could do a service here by posting contact info for the manufacturers. They are more likely to have this information. A lot of people ask questions on forums that should be addressed to manufacturers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Somebody could do a service here by posting contact info for the manufacturers. They are more likely to have this information. A lot of people ask questions on forums that should be addressed to manufacturers.

Contact a manufacturer about a 40 year old product? Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
My S-M-C is 43932, was the above number a typo?

Mine has 43932 too. So did the one I sold.

I think the name ring has been swapped! Maybe the front element too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

Mmm, might be worth a try. Wouldn't take much effort, would it? A nicely written letter, rather than email, often works wonders. As long as the firm has kept its records.

Some non-photo firms can even tell you when and to where an individual item was shipped, going way back into the 19th century. In the USA, both Colt and Smith & Wesson can tell you those details. For a fee. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have already read this- (cut from)

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a genuine "hybrid" to me Marc, S-M-C optics in a S-Tak body. The serial numbers fit. Quite rare I should think. My S-M-C (43932) has S/N 5213465

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmm. It would have to be more than just the front element, I think. The coating reflection pattern looks identical to the S-M-C 1.8/85mm I have. The serial is lower than any other I've seen too...maybe it could still be a first production batch without the lug...yes yes, I'm in denial. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

Mmm, might be worth a try. Wouldn't take much effort, would it? A nicely written letter, rather than email, often works wonders. As long as the firm has kept its records.

Some non-photo firms can even tell you when and to where an individual item was shipped, going way back into the 19th century. In the USA, both Colt and Smith & Wesson can tell you those details. For a fee. Smile

Sorry, I really didn't mean to be rude in my response. I just got out of a year long battle with an insurance company because I got into an accident at the time of a merger. Because of this they essentially lost all my information and I had to fight for the settlement I was entitled to. It made me think of the history of Pentax/Asahi in recent years. They've had quite a lot of change-over. I just doubt how much information they hold onto...but yes, maybe I will try to contact someone. Thank you.

Last edited by themoleman342 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that sn# , it sounds like a transition piece, and may have been made for less then a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm. It would have to be more than just the front element, I think. The coating reflection pattern looks identical to the S-M-C 1.8/85mm I have. The serial is lower than any other I've seen too...maybe it could still be a first production batch without the lug...yes yes, I'm in denial. Rolling Eyes

Maybe ask over at pentax forums if anybody knows. I couldn't find any mention in Gerjan's book. He does mention the others, the early 55/1.8, 55/2, and the 85/1.9 S-M-C without the lug. None of the 400mm & longer S-M-C have lugs. He does say some Super-Takumar lenses with serial numbers after 4300000 got multi-coated, and all of them after serial 4400000.

The serial number on your lens, 4493151, indicates it was made around the same time as those other lug-less S-M-C. My lug-less 85/1.9 serial number is only 4844347, so you may just have a previously unknown lug-less version of the S-M-C 35/2!

Mine is serial 5215825. The one I sold had a higher number.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's really helpful.

Quote:
...so you may just have a previously unknown lug-less version of the S-M-C 35/2!

Lucky me? Confused Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Thanks! That's really helpful.

Quote:
...so you may just have a previously unknown lug-less version of the S-M-C 35/2!

Lucky me? Confused Smile

If it matters, all the other early lug-less S-M-C had new numbers engraved on the A/M switch -- same lens body as the Super, but with the S-M-C elements, a new name ring, and a new number on the A/M switch. I have heard of Super with S-M-C coatings, but those all have Super name ring and A/M number. I have never (until now?) heard of a S-M-C name-ring lens with a Super A/M number. It seems unlikely circumstances would yield an extra S-M-C name ring for deception purposes, unless someone has a S-M-C body with a Super name ring in their collection now. Maybe Asahi kept records and when S-M-C version was first released, they sent new name rings to shoppes with Super stock that had the S-M-C coatings, so they could sell them at the new price? Maybe it is Asahi test lens. Who knows?! (Please tell us!) Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have a Super-Takumar 2/55 the other way round to Marc's 2/35. It has the older non-SMC coating but it has the S-M-C lugs. The serial number is 5348964 and the part number on the A-M switch is 37107. The "1:2/55" on the name ring is in yellow, not white. This lens is quite common I believe, probably it was a cheaper alternative kit lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Yep, I have a Super-Takumar 2/55 the other way round to Marc's 2/35. It has the older non-SMC coating but it has the S-M-C lugs. The serial number is 5348964 and the part number on the A-M switch is 37107. The "1:2/55" on the name ring is in yellow, not white. This lens is quite common I believe, probably it was a cheaper alternative kit lens.

Yep, Gerjan says those 37107 Super 2/55 with lugs were supplied with the budget Spotmatic SP500.