Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C Takumar 1:3.5/135 M42 5Dc -- Foggy Morning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: S-M-C Takumar 1:3.5/135 M42 5Dc -- Foggy Morning Reply with quote

Welcome all comments, criticisms, suggestions, tips, tricks , etc..

@f/8, 5Dc iso160, develop in DPP using AWB, 'Neutral' Picture Style, +3 Sharpness, +3 Unsharp Mask, +2 Color Saturation, Convert to jpg, resize jpg quality 80/100 using Irfanview.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number one my fave. Very atmospheric (no pun).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1 too, very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both with a minimal detail, in my taste. The clear upper part is something distracting about the very nice atmosphere of the pic. Only a detail, no more. And in my taste.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerful images! My favorite is the top image - I really like the color and tone. Was this the color as you remember it, or is it more an artifact of white balance setting, filtering, or postprocessing?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# 1 is indeed quite nice. I like it better as the taller trees
give me more perspective, I think... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me likes Very Happy ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the 2nd.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to the second one, too, with the caveat that it feels a bit "cut-off." Were it possible to re-frame it, including the trees a bit lower or all the way to the ground might change the "cut-offness" a bit. However, I think that the simpler color scheme and fact that there's a bit less for the eyes to try and decipher improves its overall viewability.

On the latter part, one of the reasons driving in fog is exhausting it because the eyes have to constantly work to focus on what is or isn't there. That's part of why, I think, fog lends itself to visual trickery. With the first picture, some of that visual disruption exists in the trees lightly shrouded by fog. It works well and captures it nicely, but I can feel my brain struggling to ascertain what is really part of the tree and what is just fog-trickery.

Overall both are very nice and well done as fog is fairly difficult to photograph well, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some people the first one might have a bit too much sky to be fashionable, but who cares? It's a superb image and the sky is what it's all about.
Both images are very good, I wish I could get images like that from my Tak'.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I love about these images is how you let the fog be the orange-yellow color, it makes both images so powerfully protean, and implies the sun in all the fog. Strong photographs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really grabs me about number one is the "ghost" tree on the left, with the burnt out dead one in the foreground clothed in the ghostly foliage of the one behind it. Very powerful for me too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number one. Very good composition here. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fog effect was captured well, but the composition could be better. Obviously you took this from a high elevation, and while that was to certain advantage, it may have made the composition more difficult. I would prefer to see the bottom of the trees for a more complete image. While the fog covered tree tops are a beautiful image, I liken the composition to chopping off someone's legs. Perhaps a wider lens?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots but I have this problem about verticals (and horizontals) and all the trees in #1 seem to be leaning to the right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks!

Trees grow to the top of the ridges here, panoramic views like this are at rare breaks in the trees or through the branches, or, like here at the top of a landslide shaped just like a crescent flake a flint knapper makes, there is a logging road 3 meters away, the pressure & pounding of the trucks popped loose a flake from the ridge edge, it slid down the hill.

From the edge here, 25 meters of dead drop through the air onto steepness extending another .5km(!). The other side of landslide can also be seen:

From this perch, toward the Northeast the view is restricted, framed by tree branches, just out of the frame in the original two photos.

The view to the North is more opened... (S-M-C 20mm F/4.5) On the left is ocean fog, to the right is colder river fog from higher elevations. See the different colors?:

As the ocean fog blows inland up the river, it overflows the 'banks' in places:

Here the two fogs mix in the river valley:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed that last looks much better more dramatic I think with PP. Here dcraw is used to make visual most detail from raw, and to recover the blown highlights: