Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-K Kodak Retina DKL-Mount Accessory Bayonet
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: S-K Kodak Retina DKL-Mount Accessory Bayonet Reply with quote

I have a few lenses from Kodak Retina Reflex and other DKL-mount lenses by Schneider-Kreuznach, like the Retina-Xenar 50mm f2.8. I notice that they have a front bayonet for mounting accessories like hoods; similar to Rolleiflex bayonets, but only an inner bayonet, not inner+outer. I’m not having luck searching the web for information on this, what it’s called, its specifications, how to search for things that fit it, and so on. Does anyone have advice or information?

As an example — I would like to put a cap on the lens mentioned above to keep it clean in storage and in my camera bag. I’m not sure how to find a cap that fits the bayonet. I can jam a generic threaded pinch-cap into it, but it’s not easy to get on and off, so I’m just curious if a native cap exists. The lens is so nicely made, I assume accessories like hoods and caps would also be really high quality and work well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same question in mind! Is the bayonet receiver just for filters? I THINK they made a bayonet mount hood for the delightful Tele-Arton but am not certain. They never seem to come up for sale with the lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Retina-Xenar 50mm f2.8 use a bayonet lens hood marked as "50 u. 35mm" which will fit the Retina-Curtagon 35mm f/2.8 too. Moreover, the Retina-Xenar 50mm f2.8 should accept a 32mm filter, at least the one made by Kodak as shown below.

Kodak NI/32 Close-Up 32mm attached to my Rodenstock 50/2.8

For more information:
https://advwks.blogspot.com/2013/06/kodak-retina-series-35mm-camera.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a brief set of details regarding the Kodak Retina S system here http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=706 , showing the hood fitted on the f/2.8 50mm Retina-Xenar.
The bayonet mount was only used for the lens hood (as far as I'm aware), the filters are screw-in, called 32mm by Kodak, but that's the push-on size, the actual thread is 29.5mm.
The larger lenses, like the 50mm f/1.9 Retina Xenon and the 135mm f/4 Retina Tele-Xenar use 58mm screw-in fittings. The 85mm f/4 Retina Tele-Arton uses a similar hood to the one used on the Xenar, but it's longer and appropriately marked, the filter size is again the 29.5mm screw-in.
Be aware that there were several very similar lenses produced for the Instamatic Reflex, see here http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=207&cam=1213 ,with the same DKL mount, but, although the 29.5mm thread was used on some of the lenses, the bayonet mount for the lens hood was absent, there being a specific screw-in hood available from Kodak for use as required.
I've still got a full set of Retina lenses, they get the occasional outing on a DKL-PK adaptor on one of my Pentax DSLRs, but what Instamatic lenses I had went when my collection was dispersed.
The "cool" feature implemented on the Retina lenses, (except the 200mm Tele Xenar), which may not be immediately apparent, is the dynamic depth-of-field indicators, which move on the lens barrel as the aperture is adjusted. This feature was especially useful when using the Retina IIIS r/f camera, a rangefinder's viewfinder not being capable of giving any indication of the depth-of-field Wink

My 85mm f/4 Retina Tele-Arton with it's dedicated hood, also showing the red dynamic depth-of-field indicators.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
There's a brief set of details regarding the Kodak Retina S system here http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=706 , showing the hood fitted on the f/2.8 50mm Retina-Xenar.
The bayonet mount was only used for the lens hood (as far as I'm aware), the filters are screw-in, called 32mm by Kodak, but that's the push-on size, the actual thread is 29.5mm.
The larger lenses, like the 50mm f/1.9 Retina Xenon and the 135mm f/4 Retina Tele-Xenar use 58mm screw-in fittings. The 85mm f/4 Retina Tele-Arton uses a similar hood to the one used on the Xenar, but it's longer and appropriately marked, the filter size is again the 29.5mm screw-in.
Be aware that there were several very similar lenses produced for the Instamatic Reflex, see here http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=207&cam=1213 ,with the same DKL mount, but, although the 29.5mm thread was used on some of the lenses, the bayonet mount for the lens hood was absent, there being a specific screw-in hood available from Kodak for use as required.
I've still got a full set of Retina lenses, they get the occasional outing on a DKL-PK adaptor on one of my Pentax DSLRs, but what Instamatic lenses I had went when my collection was dispersed.
The "cool" feature implemented on the Retina lenses, (except the 200mm Tele Xenar), which may not be immediately apparent, is the dynamic depth-of-field indicators, which move on the lens barrel as the aperture is adjusted. This feature was especially useful when using the Retina IIIS r/f camera, a rangefinder's viewfinder not being capable of giving any indication of the depth-of-field Wink

My 85mm f/4 Retina Tele-Arton with it's dedicated hood, also showing the red dynamic depth-of-field indicators.

Like 1 small

There is 29.5mm to 37mm step-up ring on the market. Do you know if it works well on the 50mm or 35mm?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
There is 29.5mm to 37mm step-up ring on the market. Do you know if it works well on the 50mm or 35mm?
Click here to see on Ebay

I doubt it'll fit directly.
Measuring the front of the lens by eye with a ruler, the internal of the bayonet is about 36mm and the 29.5mm thread is recessed below that.
If you fit a stackable 29.5mm screw-in filter (with or without glass) first, to effectively "extend" the 29.5mm thread, you might get away with it.
You may end up with vignetting on the 35mm lens on full-frame.
Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The Retina-Xenar 50mm f2.8 use a bayonet lens hood marked as "50 u. 35mm" which will fit the Retina-Curtagon 35mm f/2.8 too. Moreover, the Retina-Xenar 50mm f2.8 should accept a 32mm filter, at least the one made by Kodak as shown below.

Kodak NI/32 Close-Up 32mm attached to my Rodenstock 50/2.8

For more information:
https://advwks.blogspot.com/2013/06/kodak-retina-series-35mm-camera.html

This lens hood is one of the more beautiful made I have seen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I have this straight there IS a bayonet mount hood for the Tele-Arton. I will continue my search!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
So if I have this straight there IS a bayonet mount hood for the Tele-Arton. I will continue my search!

If you want a original hood, you need a "50 u. 35mm" hood. The "Kodak 85mm" hood extension will give you better shading but it is optional.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite understanding. Isn't the 50mm a threaded mount 58mm? I have seen (pictures of) those 50mm labelled hoods. And the square extension thingy. I thought they were push on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retina-Xenar 50mm f2.8 has 29.5mm filter threads, uses kodak 32mm filters and kodak bayonet hood "50 u. 35mm" Click here to see on Ebay.

Retina-Xenon 50mm F1.9 has 58mm filter threads, uses kodak 60mm filters and kodak slip-on hood "Kodak 35mm" Click here to see on Ebay.

Understand?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

If you want a original hood, you need a "50 u. 35mm" hood. The "Kodak 85mm" hood extension will give you better shading but it is optional.

If I remember correctly there were both options, an extension and an all-in-one.
The one I have (pictured above) is all in one piece.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

You've got it straight … yes, there is one … it's what I photographed above Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

If I remember correctly there were both options, an extension and an all-in-one.
The one I have (pictured above) is all in one piece.

Your hood is pretty rare. I don't remember if I ever seen one on eBay. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Retina-Xenar 50mm f2.8 has 29.5mm filter threads, uses kodak 32mm filters and kodak bayonet hood "50 u. 35mm" Click here to see on Ebay.

Retina-Xenon 50mm F1.9 has 58mm filter threads, uses kodak 60mm filters and kodak slip-on hood "Kodak 35mm" Click here to see on Ebay.

Understand?

That "Kodak 35mm" hood was originally for the 35mm f/4 as used on the first Retina Reflex (that used the lenses from the folding Retina range like the IIc, IIC, IIIc and IIIC.)
It will fit the 50mm f/1.9 but, in my experience, is prone to fall off (mine may have been worn) … I'd recommend an aftermarket screw-in 58mm hood in this instance Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. A third party 58mm screw-in hood for standard lens will do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help. From the Retina Reflex IV manual