Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian 3M/6A 500mm f6.3 mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Russian 3M/6A 500mm f6.3 mirror Reply with quote

Got one of these off ebay the other day and having great trouble mounting it on my Canon 10D. Lens had a Nikon adapter with it, but instead of an M42 T-Mount on the end it has a recessed 48.5mm plain spigot. Recent gift of a Pentax T-Mount adapter (thanks manual_focus_g Smile ) co-incidentally has the same size insert so a combination of that and a K-mount to EOS adapter enabled me to fit it. Rotates a bit (rubbish EOS adapter Smile ) but seems to give reasonable images. Thought you might like a look...

http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/585006260/albums/3m-6a

I have questioned a few suppliers of EOS adapters to see if I can connect to its spigot directly and await replies. Anyone else got one of these? Heavy innit? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge beast I have it too and it has awesome performance , I think mine has M42 mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy an eos t mount you should be able to seperate the outer ring with the 3 little screws and then screw it onto the spigot.

It's like a t mount but with one half of the mount always attached to the lens instead of unscrewing, I think the register distance is slightly different but you should still be able to get infinity focus.

My mto-11ca had the same thing, it seems any t mount can be disassembled and screwed into the spigot.

I think the zenitar fish eye also comes with this t mount like spigot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
If you buy an eos t mount you should be able to seperate the outer ring with the 3 little screws and then screw it onto the spigot.

It's like a t mount but with one half of the mount always attached to the lens instead of unscrewing, I think the register distance is slightly different but you should still be able to get infinity focus.

My mto-11ca had the same thing, it seems any t mount can be disassembled and screwed into the spigot.

I think the zenitar fish eye also comes with this t mount like spigot.

You are undoubtedly right. The Pentax T-Mount adapter that ManualFocus_G gave me fitted the 3M exactly after I had taken out the M42 threaded insert.

Unfortunately, the EOS T-Mount adapter I have has a much larger diameter insert and so I can't use it directly. I am currently quizzing all the Hong Kong/China suppliers of EOS adapters to find one with the 48.5mm insert. Wish me luck.

Certainly seems quite sharp with the cobbled together setup I used to take the couple of test shots. But blimey it is heavy.

I really wanted it for moon shots etc, which is lucky, since it's definitely a tripod job Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Huge beast I have it too and it has awesome performance , I think mine has M42 mount.

Thanks for that info. Glad I haven't bought a lemon Very Happy Can;t wait to get it attached properly and find out what it can do. It's the only mirror I currently have. Do you find the doughnut bokeh a problem? Personally I don't find it too offensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks for that info. Glad I haven't bought a lemon Very Happy Can;t wait to get it attached properly and find out what it can do. It's the only mirror I currently have. Do you find the doughnut bokeh a problem? Personally I don't find it too offensive.

If subject fill full scene no bokeh problem Wink I like mirror lens bokeh so no trouble from my site. Lens diameter can be a problem , I did try with flat front camera like Olympus E-300, E-1. It was impossible to mount on E-500 or Nikon D50.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave the Nikon adapter on it, and get a Nikon to EOS adapter for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
Just leave the Nikon adapter on it, and get a Nikon to EOS adapter for it.

Yeah, thats what I might have to fall back on. I have ordered one, because it is going to be handy anyway.

I got given a pentax adapter that fitted and so I cobbled together a T-Mount to Pentax to EOS adapter to take the test shots. Unfortunately I have a rubbish Pentax to EOS adapter, hence the body could rotate about 20 deg Sad

I think I have found the right T-Mount to EOS adapter and have ordered one of those too. If I have to fall back on the Nikon adapter, I just hope it works better than the rubbish pentax to EOS I've got Smile

I'll get there in the end and hopefully post some properr shots.....