Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Row, row a boat through the swamp
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Row, row a boat through the swamp Reply with quote

After first capturing some flowers and butterflies, my wife, daughter and I grabbed a couple of paddles and hopped in an old wooden boat to navigate through a local swamp... but we weren't alone...

Topcor 2.8/100

Topcor 2.8/100

Topcor 2.8/100

Topcor 2.8/100

Topcor 2.8/100

Vivitar Series 1 2.5/90 Macro

Vivitar Series 1 3/200

Vivitar Series 1 3/200

Vivitar Series 1 3/200

Vivitar Series 1 3/200

Vivitar Series 1 3/200

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked for the lovely images and for, were you scared having that Alligator( ? ) in the water with you? Another thing who was rowing the boat while you took the photos Laughing

The colors on the insects are simply stunning,that macro and you do a great job. I don't think I have seen a vivitar series 1 3/200,it performs very well in this outing.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series woodrim, butterflies are beautiful, interesting trip with an alligator !!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The butterfly shots are exquisite. I used to live in Florida, I miss taking photos of the gators.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice series Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Shocked for the lovely images and for, were you scared having that Alligator( ? ) in the water with you? Another thing who was rowing the boat while you took the photos Laughing

The colors on the insects are simply stunning,that macro and you do a great job. I don't think I have seen a vivitar series 1 3/200,it performs very well in this outing.

Thanks, Mo and others. The swamp was full of alligators and some were more arrogant than others - the big one with the close-up of its head did not move as we drifted by. They are well camouflaged and we didn't see it until we were already next to it. We could have reached out and touched it, but would have lost an arm at the very least. The biggest gator we saw was about 11 foot and 500 lbs.

The 200mm was very challenging with the boat constantly moving. I don't think I got a perfect focus on any shots. The boat took a zigzag course and occasionally went in unintended circles. I took a paddle for the return trip for sanity sake.

Photos courtesy of Andrea Pastel:

It's great fun to rock the boat when alligators are nearby - the girls get excited.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks for the image of the boat you were in,your girls are braver than I. I would need a bigger boat to create more distance between me and the Alligators .
I was going to comment about how steady the images come across, even though you were sitting in a boat.Not ultra sharp but you managed it.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice pictures

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series, congrats, the Vivi 2.5/90 is a superb lens for macro, no doubt,

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Laughing Thanks for the image of the boat you were in,your girls are braver than I. I would need a bigger boat to create more distance between me and the Alligators .
I was going to comment about how steady the images come across, even though you were sitting in a boat.Not ultra sharp but you managed it.

I'm with you on this one Mo, that boat is nowhere near big enough when dinosaurs are in the damn water!! Shocked

Can't fault the images though Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
mo wrote:

I'm with you on this one Mo, that boat is nowhere near big enough when dinosaurs are in the damn water!! Shocked

C'mon, that gator had very kind eyes.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Great pictures. The great lenses are employed to their best.
Are alligators in season?

Funny question. They're not plants Laughing Or do you mean in season for love? Or if you meant for hunting, I'm not aware of any of that done here. They are pretty much protected and there are rules/laws about feeding them, or I should say NOT feeding them. They are not to be tormented - and it's best to not piss them off. They are here year round and can be seen sunning on the warm and sunny winter days. Within our housing community, there are numerous ponds where they come and go.

A couple of years back I saw a great photo opportunity with a very large gator on the golf course. I thought if I could get close enough, I could get a good detail portrait. I have a rather cowardly (maybe smarter) friend that wouldn't approach with me. When I got down on my stomach to get the shot he was screaming at me to come back. I assured him that I could get up and run if needed. I got my shots and it was uneventful with the gator only showing his teeth. However, when I was getting back up, I realized that many years had passed since I ever had to get to my feet quickly and it wasn't as easy as I remembered. Here is the portrait from that day:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics! The bokeh in the first one looks like brush strokes of a painting!

--mike

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the song,never smile at a crocodile/Alligator in this case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMaPTZdwjPE

As far as I am concerned a long lens would be perfect,and a much bigger boat. Very Happy I am glad for the risk you took taking that photo,it is a great image and one to be proud of.\I bet you would have been able to move very quickly had he looked at you sideways.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
mo wrote:

C'mon, that gator had very kind eyes.

Shocked

You're a far braver chap than I Laughing Laughing

And I wouldn't capture that portrait with anything shorter than 500mm!