Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor 55mm lenses compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Rokkor 55mm lenses compared Reply with quote

A near infinity test and bokeh test. I threw in the Petri 55/1.8 as well to make it more interesting.

First, the center crops:
CenterComparison by devoscasper, on Flickr
Wide open, the Auto Rokkor PF 55mm f/2 seems best, but it's also the slowest lens. The Auto Rokkor-PF 55mm f/1.8 is a close second. The Rokkor 55/1.7 is a bit softer than the other Rokkors, but the Petri is softest wide open. Closed down, starting @ f/2.8, the Petri shows the crispest results IMO, closely followed by the Auto Rokkor-PF 55/1.8. At smaller apertures, the color balance of the 55/2 seems to change a bit. No idea why this happens.

Then the corner crops:
CornerComparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

I've concluded it before: the Petri is an excellent landscape lens, with very usable corners @ f/2.8, and perfectly sharp corners @ f/4. The Rokkor 55/1.8, being the oldest lens, needs most stopping down for sharp corners, and it doesn't quite reach the sharpness of the other lenses. Clearly, this is a weakness of the lens that was addressed by Minolta with the introduction of it's successor, the 55/1.7, but at the cost of somewhat lesser crisp center results it seems.

Then, bokeh. I've noticed before, that the 3 Rokkors allow for very nice, buttery soft bokeh. Let's see how they compare:
bokehcomparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Rokkor lenses are capable of producing nice soft bokeh balls, that are very uniform in nature (no rings). Wide open, I would say the Rokkor 55/1.7 wins by a hair. The Petri's bokeh is nice as well, but it's bokeh balls are less uniform, and thus a bit more distracting. Stopped down a bit, the Rokkor 55/1.8 has this nicest bokeh balls IMO, because of it's rounder aperture. Then, there's is a difference between the lenses in their MFD. Some lenses are able to focus a bit closer than others. This expands the creative ability a bit, allowing for more blown out backgrounds. Here a shot of all lenses, wide open, at their MFD:
Minfocuscomparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Rokkor 55/1.8 allows for the closest MFD. There's no MFD reading at this setting, but it's closer than 50cm, probably around 47cm. By the way, I'm using the oldest version of the Rokkor, from the late 50's, with 55mm filter thread diameter. Because of this, the Rokkor 55/1.8 allows for the softest bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difference, when it comes to Minolta 55mm F1.7, is obvious with mid range and long distance bokeh. That's where it shines, at least if softer bokeh is desirable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see how much things improved when going from the AR 1.8/55 to the MC 1.7/55 (MC-I or MC-II?). I wasn't aware of that since usually don't test normal lenses ...

That mirrors the reported improvement when going from the AR/MC-I 1.4/58mm to the MC-II 1.4/58mm, reported by MP (or PP?) as well as Dieter Gabler in his books about the SR-T.

S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Interesting to see how much things improved when going from the AR 1.8/55 to the MC 1.7/55 (MC-I or MC-II?). I wasn't aware of that since usually don't test normal lenses ...

That mirrors the reported improvement when going from the AR/MC-I 1.4/58mm to the MC-II 1.4/58mm, reported by MP (or PP?) as well as Dieter Gabler in his books about the SR-T.

S

The hills and valleys version, is that the MC-II?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Yep. I follow Dennis Lohmann's definitions (scroll down to see examples for SR, AR, MC and MD):
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Yep. I follow Dennis Lohmann's definitions (scroll down to see examples for SR, AR, MC and MD):
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

S

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rokkor 55mm lenses compared Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
A near infinity test and bokeh test. I threw in the Petri 55/1.8 as well to make it more interesting...

Excellent comparison, Caspert! 👍 The AR 55/1.8 is a gem! After acquiring an AR-I(7/7) and making a resolution comparison with the MC-II 55/1.7 on center and corners at all aperture values on a tripod at a 1m distance, I immediately sold the MC-II 55/1.7. Shortly after, an AR-I(3/7) 55/1.8 was acquired that won out on every aspect over the AR-I(7/7), so the latter got sold. Now I'm still waiting for an AR-I(1/7) in good condition to show up for the sake of its historical significance as Minolta's very first standard SLR lens in 1958.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rokkor 55mm lenses compared Reply with quote

Sakyaputta wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
A near infinity test and bokeh test. I threw in the Petri 55/1.8 as well to make it more interesting...

Excellent comparison, Caspert! 👍 The AR 55/1.8 is a gem! After acquiring an AR-I(7/7) and making a resolution comparison with the MC-II 55/1.7 on center and corners at all aperture values on a tripod at a 1m distance, I immediately sold the MC-II 55/1.7. Shortly after, an AR-I(3/7) 55/1.8 was acquired that won out on every aspect over the AR-I(7/7), so the latter got sold. Now I'm still waiting for an AR-I(1/7) in good condition to show up for the sake of its historical significance as Minolta's very first standard SLR lens in 1958.

I try to follow you here, but the world of Rokkors is a bit complicated. What do you mean by AR-I (1/7), AR-I (3/7) and AR-I(7/7). Also, you're saying your AR 55/1.8 beats the MC-II 55/1.7? I haven't compared them at this distance. interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rokkor 55mm lenses compared Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I try to follow you here, but the world of Rokkors is a bit complicated. What do you mean by AR-I (1/7), AR-I (3/7) and AR-I(7/7). Also, you're saying your AR 55/1.8 beats the MC-II 55/1.7? I haven't compared them at this distance. interesting.

Sorry for keeping you waiting, Caspert. Things got hectic yesterday.

For the 55/1.8, there are 7 recognized (by avid collectors) sub-iterations within the AR-I (1958~62), 5 sub-iterations with AR-II (1962~65), and 2 sub-iterations within AR-C (1965~66).
AR-I(1/7) lenses were the very first ones with unpainted interiors in the front ring, with serial #s starting with 1100...;
AR-I (3/7) starts with #1200...;
AR-I (4/7) lenses have dots between the yellow LV numbers 1.7~6 on the aperture ring and have serial #s starting with #1300...;
AR-I (7/7) have serial #s starting with 2400....

And yes, the MC-II 55/1.7 lost out miserably to the AR-I 55/1.8 at short focusing range in my test.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your info. Mine starts with sn 243… and should therefore be the (7/7) version. Remember anything about corner performance of this particular version?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Thanks for your info. Mine starts with sn 243… and should therefore be the (7/7) version. Remember anything about corner performance of this particular version?

The corner performance of the AR-I(7/7) 55/1.8 was very good in my close-range test (much better than the MC-II 55/1.7 anyway). The overall physical condition of both was very good, with the MC-I 55/1.7 slightly better than that of the AR-I 55/1.8.

AR-I(7/7) 55/1.8 #2409609 @ f/8 Corner 100% crop

MC-II 55/1.7 #3023239 @ f/8 Corner 100% crop