Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Roeschlein Luxon 105mm f4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Roeschlein Luxon 105mm f4.5 Reply with quote

I understand that this is a rare lens. Any one have it?
I did just buy it but haven't used it yet, so I'm curious.

BTW, it is an exakta mount, not Paxette, nor M39

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am quite curious. One came up for auction on an auction site a while back and I researched and could find no useful information.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were shot with Sony Nex 5N. The Aperture was wide open at 4.5, The original images had low contrast in every instance, so Lightroom was used to increase contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread since I picked up a pretty good copy of one of these. It was 70 dollars but I couldn't resist. Nicely made chromed brass and triplet. Coating has a bluish cast though its effectiveness is less than stellar as you will see. Filter thread of 40.5. Minimum focus just under 5 feet. The 12 blade aperture has curved blades for nearly perfectly round bokeah at all apertures. Mine came with an m42 mount but it is obvious it was made with multiple mounts as it is fitted on with a threaded 46mm x 0.5mm collar holding the aluminum m42 adapter in place. It had just a bit of haze on the bact side of the middle element but it is ridiculously easy to work on since the front 2 elements come out by unscrewing the black front bezel from the chrome barrel. I did take the middle element out from the front group using a rubber lens wrench, though the bezel does actually have slots for a spanner. I cleaned the front and back of the rear element in place. I notice it seemed a little loose and using a tiny rubber lens wrench on the interior took some ingenuity as the lens is quite a ways inside the tube. I ended up using the handle end of a couple of the toothbrushes stuffed inside the smaller end of the lens wrench. This worked because of the curve in the handle pushing out on the inside of the smaller end when I squeezed them together made it so the pressure on the lens wrench was grippy enough to let me push down and turn. Harder to explain than to do.

The lens:

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20237/big_7980_16890904842307251354873460127712_1.jpg]
[/url]

The (very deep) hood:

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20237/big_7980_16890907369366214654296906246728_1.jpg]
[/url]

The blades:

Without the hood contrast is terrible a very prominent hot spot is evident:

Infinity with the hood:

Some more shots:

With the helicoid adapter and closest focus:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

Some more shots:

Love those shots - really nice colors! Seems to me like that's probably the kind of mood and tones most suited for a lens like that. What kind of lens design is it based on?

It looks like a couple of Roeschlein lenses have only been produced in really low number, which might explain some of the prices, even though their performance never seems to be outstanding, particularly in terms of contrast. However the rendering in some of yours looks great, so it certainly depends on what you're shooting. I have a also seemingly rare Roeschlein enlarging lens, which has a similar look. I'm convinced it can be used to great effect under the right circumstances

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thanks. If subject is carefully chosen, nice images can be had. I was a bit surprised at how much improvement the lens hood made. The flair and central hotspot are nearly untenable without it. I expect that in a lens that has coating issues or haze but on this one the glass looks nearly crystal clear after cleaning a bit of haze off the back of the middle element. It comes apart easily so as mentioned i cleaned all of the glass surfaces with isopropyl. These are jpg straight from the camera with no adjustments whatsoever. I gather from what I have read that Roeschlein worked for Schneider and also another manufacturer before starting his own company. Most of the listings for their lenses that I see are for Braun Paxette cameras so i was a bit surprised to see an m42 moount on offer.