Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMC Tokina 25-50mm on Olympus E-400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: RMC Tokina 25-50mm on Olympus E-400 Reply with quote

A short zoom with quite unusual focal lengths. Well constructed, opens from f/4 to f/22 and focuses close to 0.5m.
On the 2x crop cameras would be nice for portrait due to its 50~100mm equivalence.

Good behaviour under poor lighting.

Some samples @ F/4:

Late afternoon:

Getting darker:

a 100% crop of the previous one:

Some close focusing tests:

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rather battered one of these in Canon FD fitting which I still use occasionally with film. I've always thought it was quite good, although it's a bit big and heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
... I've always thought it was quite good, although it's a bit big and heavy.

It means "solid building and good to prevent shaking" Wink

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These old zoom lenses can be really good and useful esp. on a 4/3 cam.
25-50 equals a nice 50-100 portrait zoom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zooms continual to amaze me (of course usually the recommended ones), and with help from Photoshop quality is equalised compared to primes unless you are doing large cropping or prints. And when a person accumulates so many very good zooms and primes in a strange way it gets boring, so for me I seeking the lens that is cheap and different and for starters can equal a Zeiss 3d effect..well you never know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks fine for web use (which is what 99% of photos are used for). Even print would probably be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good.

I haven't used a bad Tokina RMC lens so far but it's still unclear if the RMC is purely to signify the coatings or if it was a distinct model line too.

Some of the expensive lenses such as 17mm and 500mm carried the RMC badge but also some cheaper ones too.

I have used 2 28mm's and a 80-200mm with good results.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice combo, 25-50 on 4:3 is like 35-70 on a 1.5x crop that I used a lot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the copy of this same zoom in PK mount I got on ebay a while ago for 15€ plus shipping, and I have to agree it's a really handy lens: small, and on APS-C a nice equivalent of the classic 35-70mm zoom.

A quick test shows it also has pretty god image quality, with nice colours and contrast, and good resolution in the corners. One of the best price/performance ratios in all lenses I bought.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good quick test shot: small, good quality, (on olympus) 50-100mm, well done; a next buy Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I haven't used a bad Tokina RMC lens so far but it's still unclear if the RMC is purely to signify the coatings or if it was a distinct model line too.

RMC = Multicoating