Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh 500
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Ricoh 500 Reply with quote

Just got this one. The seller forgot to package the axillary light meter for it. That is coming soon. Takes a while to get used to the film advance lever but if you like shiny chrome on your camera this is the one to get. one piece of leather missing on the front so that t5akes it from a 10 to an 8 on cosmetics. Works great. Very bright and large viewfinder with a very very nice rangefinder patch. The lens shade has been knocked out of round but that is easily fixed. Nice Ricoh UV filter installed too.

I like this camera!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! The Ricoh 519 is another good one to acquire with the f1.9 lens.

Nice that it came with OEM hood!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Sweet! The Ricoh 519 is another good one to acquire with the f1.9 lens.

Nice that it came with OEM hood!

And soon the auxiliary light meter too. I'll keep man eye out for the 519.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks so cool I wouldn't care if the pictures were all blurred! I'd also be very tempted to replace all the leatherette with real leather, in red to match the engravings. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That looks so cool I wouldn't care if the pictures were all blurred! I'd also be very tempted to replace all the leatherette with real leather, in red to match the engravings. Cool

Sorry Lloydy...If it's chrome it will get black leather. http://www.cameraleather.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very beautiful looking camera! Thanks for sharing as I learned more about them since reading your post.
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Ricoh500.html~mainFrame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, BD. Interesting, the bottom of the camera has as much "complicatedness" as the top does. That film crank does look a bit, um, different. It's a bit of historical significance, I think, the whole bottom-crank thing. I wasn't aware before now that Ricoh had jumped on that bandwagon. I knew about the Kodaks and Canons -- and I'm sure there have been others. I think that the reason for it was, by and large, it allowed the photographer to keep his/her eye at the viewfinder, whereas a top-winding crank usually required that the photographer move their eye from the viewfinder to wind the film on. Yet in the evolutionary scheme of things, the top-winding crank won out.

I noticed the E-P icon on the bottom. Some US serviceman bought it at a Post Exchange -- one in Japan, I'll wager. I have a couple of E-P pieces currently, and have owned quite a few over the years. I consider them to be more collectible because of that icon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! More chrome than on my beloved S3 (1959 model), ones my first camera, purchased when it was for sale Very Happy .
Was a lot of money for a scholar anyhow.

Very good to handle. Still nice to use.
But for changing the film you need an extra hand Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a nice camera.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's a beauty!! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
That is a very beautiful looking camera! Thanks for sharing as I learned more about them since reading your post.
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Ricoh500.html~mainFrame

That is one of the places I looked before I bid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Very cool, BD. Interesting, the bottom of the camera has as much "complicatedness" as the top does. That film crank does look a bit, um, different. It's a bit of historical significance, I think, the whole bottom-crank thing. I wasn't aware before now that Ricoh had jumped on that bandwagon. I knew about the Kodaks and Canons -- and I'm sure there have been others. I think that the reason for it was, by and large, it allowed the photographer to keep his/her eye at the viewfinder, whereas a top-winding crank usually required that the photographer move their eye from the viewfinder to wind the film on. Yet in the evolutionary scheme of things, the top-winding crank won out.

I noticed the E-P icon on the bottom. Some US serviceman bought it at a Post Exchange -- one in Japan, I'll wager. I have a couple of E-P pieces currently, and have owned quite a few over the years. I consider them to be more collectible because of that icon.

I hadn't even noticed. That is what I like about this forum...I learn something new and interesting every day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Cool! More chrome than on my beloved S3 (1959 model), ones my first camera, purchased when it was for sale Very Happy .
Was a lot of money for a scholar anyhow.

Very good to handle. Still nice to use.
But for changing the film you need an extra hand Laughing

The back and bottom remove to change the film and you are correct...2 hands are needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragom wrote:
Looks a nice camera.

Till I run a roll of film through it the jury is still out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow! That's a beauty!! Congratulations!

Yep...lots of bling there.