Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reviving an old warhorse . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reviving an old warhorse . . . Reply with quote

When I got back into Photography I picked up a Minolta SRT200 and have had a decent experience with until late. Recently I found out that my downfall may be a case of wrong battery type - I've been using an alkali - Embarassed didn't realize the draw backs. Last night I reviewed the last set I had taken with it . . . they look poorly exposed, definate meter issue Mad

So following a link -Larry showed me - while dealing with my Conti - made me realize that for the SRT I could just add the wire loop and use a hearing aid battery with much better results. This means that an old warhorse may have a chance rise again. Shocked Very Happy

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest issue with alkaline batteries in addition to the higher voltage is their non-linear discharge rate. Meaning there's only going to be one point in their life where the meter will be accurate.

You'll probably find that the meter over-reads to begin with due to the higher voltage which results in underexposure. Then, as the cell discharges, the reading will decrease until you reach a point where exposure is actually correct. Finally, as the voltage drops below optimum, the meter will under-read, resulting in overexposure.

Silver oxide is a good alternative to mercury technology as it has a similar discharge rate - the only thing is that one has to drop the voltage down from 1.5v to 1.35v for those meters that require it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the drawbacks I mean - now from what I've heard using the hearing aid batter at 1.4 volts causes less of a problem than the alkaline at 1.5 volts. The link I was mentioning was Rick Olesons . . .

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-111.html

From what I've heard this solution works well, good enough for me.

Jim