Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Return of the sears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Return of the sears Reply with quote

I went out again today with the sears cupboard lens Wink It was a really crap day weather wise, dull with rain threatening with the occaisional bit of sun. The cross on the hill in these pics is a couple of miles away, the church must be a mile at least, the close up of the other cross was the only one that wasn't handheld, managed to find a wall to rest it on. I am convinced the haze effect is the adapter but i may be wrong, i am going to try this lens with my canon ae 1 program in a couple of weeks. So for your comments, if you can be bothered, i present again the sears 300mm! (some Lr was used in these images, terms and conditions apply)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is my favourite. I like the 'haze' effect in this photo. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You clearly enjoy using this lens and I say good for you.

As one with a cupboard full of Mamiya stuff, and Mamiya sometimes re-branded as Sears, again I say good for you.

From these photos though I don't think you have found the lens' forte and I look forward to some different shots wide open, stopped down and at less than a mile away.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen for the comments, i guess thats one with haze and one without Wink i will persevere with it and try to get the most out of it, my skills will need improving first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is absolutely stunning, I really envy your skill to use your equipment to your advantage. If life hands you a lemon, you truly make photographic lemonade.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
#1 is absolutely stunning, I really envy your skill to use your equipment to your advantage. If life hands you a lemon, you truly make photographic lemonade.
Stop it Richard, people will think we are lovers! your pictures of landscapes are far superior to anything i could do, mine are lucky accidents if they please anyone ( The 50 euro's is on its way to you ;0 ) You are also not the first to say i am skilled with my equipment, though you are the first man Shocked Embarassed Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first one as well so make that 2 with haze 1 without.You could try shooting a cat with it? Very Happy

Could you post up a picture of this "cupboard" lens?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I like the first one as well so make that 2 with haze 1 without.You could try shooting a cat with it? Very Happy

Could you post up a picture of this "cupboard" lens?
Thanks Mo Smile I could club one with it thats for sure! (not that i would) Will post up a pic of it in the morning so watch this space, nice soldid piece of equipment, not flimsy, but of course that has advantages and disadvantages, its a question i suppose of getting everything right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose it will ever be a great and legendary lens, I think it was born and raised in the middle ground. Not a bad thing when it was new and the buyer had a tight budget. I bought similar lenses back then because they were what I could afford, I've got a selection of them here again. They did what they said on the box. But, I've also got boxes of slides and photographs from all around the USA and Canada, and here in the UK, that I took with cheap and cheerful zooms and telephotos. Some are images that I'm still proud of and hang on our walls.
They usually have a sweet spot. my bet is that the Sears has one as well, and you're not far off it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first shot looks like it has a big flare in the center...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lens is a DTL version, should be a tokina one.

The 28, 50s, 135s, 200 are very good. Seems the 300 is another good one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Lloydy wrote...I too have a few interesting now relegated to the "cupboard" zooms. I bought them when I first started out in photography (roughly two years ago now). I have a Soligor 300mm somewhere I may drag out and see what it can do. I do have a mamiya 200 lens,that is why I wanted you to post an image of your lens to see if your lens looks like the mamiya.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the comments, there is truth in them all. The challenge for me with my limited skills is, as some of you have mentioned, to bring out the best quality the lens can achieve. Its true its no leica and never will be, but then again you don't need a leica to make great pictures, my 1ltr car will do 60mph same as a ferrari Smile I have grown attached to this lens, same as people have a favourite teddy bear, or gun, depending on your age and location Smile We will hear more from this lens i feel sure. For mo and anyone else who wants to make sure they are not buying a fake sears 300, see pics below Wink helios 44-4 next to it for scale, fitting not shown, my bad, canon fd mount.

This ones for Mo, my wife took this with the digital, shes worse than me!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, you have some nice pictures on your blog, I was going to comment on some but the bloody 'Persona' security thing is impossible to get signed on to! It might be me, I can be a tecnopeasant, but it wouldn't let me reply to the verifying email. If others are having the same problem it might be why you aren't seeing much activity on your blog ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Rob, you have some nice pictures on your blog, I was going to comment on some but the bloody 'Persona' security thing is impossible to get signed on to! It might be me, I can be a tecnopeasant, but it wouldn't let me reply to the verifying email. If others are having the same problem it might be why you aren't seeing much activity on your blog ?

Hey squire, could be the wrong blog as my names Ger, but hey call me rob, i have been called worse and expect to be in the future. I thought i had set comments on at the blog, to be honest i didn't think anyone thought they were worth commenting on, that and the fact that only people who follow my sig from here know about it. I will look into it and thank you for taking an interest Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ger,
Thanks for posting the picture of the lens.. it does not look like my Mamiya/Sekor 200mm....PHEW! Seriously,I don't know who may have made your lens, but I bet someone else may have a better idea just by looking at the photo....It sounds like it is now part of the family Very Happy It certainly looks like a nice clean lens and the glass looks clear. .......You do know there is a disease that you can catch from this forum?

Your wife's photo looks better than my husbands first attempt at using a MF lens on the DSLR.Most people expect to just point and shoot ..not stop and focus the lens. Smile

It took me long enough to work out some of the finer points of photography so I dare say hang around here and your skills will improve.Unless of course you are a really good photographer and you are only posting up your wife's photos Laughing ...a tiny attempt at humour I hope it does not backfire... Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Hi Ger,
Thanks for posting the picture of the lens.. it does not look like my Mamiya/Sekor 200mm....PHEW! Seriously,I don't know who may have made your lens, but I bet someone else may have a better idea just by looking at the photo....It sounds like it is now part of the family Very Happy It certainly looks like a nice clean lens and the glass looks clear. .......You do know there is a disease that you can catch from this forum?

Your wife's photo looks better than my husbands first attempt at using a MF lens on the DSLR.Most people expect to just point and shoot ..not stop and focus the lens. Smile

It took me long enough to work out some of the finer points of photography so I dare say hang around here and your skills will improve.Unless of course you are a really good photographer and you are only posting up your wife's photos Laughing ...a tiny attempt at humour I hope it does not backfire... Embarassed

Are you implying i'm not a really good photographer?Wink If so you're right Laughing Hey i can be insulted at home, or by that swedish fellow that hangs around this place Wink I would like to know who made it though, i'm pretty confident it was leica or contax, so my advice to you is ditch the hektor to me and i can promise to keep an eye out for a sears cupboard for you Wink At least now my opinion of my wifes photographic skills have been confirmed, i knew i should not have let her handle money or technology, things started to go downhill after you lot got the vote if you ask me Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where I got the name Rob from? many apologies Ger, I try to only insult people when I mean it. Laughing

I love the picture on the blog of the art work / statue of the men with top hats, taken with the Beroflex. That's a great image.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I don't know where I got the name Rob from? many apologies Ger, I try to only insult people when I mean it. Laughing

I love the picture on the blog of the art work / statue of the men with top hats, taken with the Beroflex. That's a great image.
Thx Tom, i mean Dave Smile I often use that frieze for testing lenses. That blog i have is hopeless for posting comments, i have tried to allow even annonymous comments but it won't work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Rolo Tomassi from L.A. Confidential, or the British band (named after that character)?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
or by that swedish fellow that hangs around this place

Careful! There are at least four Swedes around, of which just one is a leprechaun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is but one Rolo Tomassi Wink Any leprechauns in Sweden are infringing Irish copyright!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
There is but one Rolo Tomassi Wink Any leprechauns in Sweden are infringing Irish copyright!

Sueing me for a 100 dollar royalty would increase Irelands GNP by 18%!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See it did backfire now I am in trouble with your wife... Laughing I should post up one of my many...did I say Many disasters photographically speaking...thank God for digital.

Sorry, the Hektor stays in Australia,it is needed here Very Happy ...it would most likely be, the only Leica I will ever own...unless your cupboard sears lens is indeed a closet Leica.. Laughing Actually we see very little of the Sears brand down this way.

Horrible histories(children's TV show) song version of women getting the vote in England Very Happy