Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Retaining ring stuck. Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Retaining ring stuck. Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Tried the rubber tool. Used isopropyl alcohol and acetone to try and release it to no avail. The nameplate and retaining ring are severely stuck it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localised heating with something like a soldering iron MIGHT help.

As a last resort you could drill two holes in the name ring so as to enable a lens wrench to grip on it. Not something I'd like to do on such a nice lens - but if nothing else works it might give you a way forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the image but If you do manage to loosen the lens retainer ring, you may find as you unscrew it it is still stuck behind the name ring.

On 20mm~ish wide-angles like that often the name ring & filter holder are one machined unit that needs to come off before the front lend group (or front element retainer ring) can be removed, especially if they are of the type where the filter thread rotates when focusing. Screws and/or fixing tape that allow the name ring and filter holder to come off are sometimes found underneath the focus grip waffle.

If that is the case with this lens you may also find that once the front group is exposed, you see thread-lock holding the front element retainer ring on an external thread rather than internal thread (i.e. the retainer ring may have a female thread and the cell body a male thread). This isn't always obvious from the outside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For posterity, I used a small amount of 3 in 1 oil and let it work for a couple days and I was then able to remove the retaining ring. Nameplate didn't need to be removed to access the lens elements.