Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendation for a nice 35mm for Sony A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Considering the lack of an AA filter only gives a very modest improvement in sharpness which can be overcome by sharpening anyways and carries several downsides, then it's a very moot point as to whether a lack of AA filter is a good thing or not.

I thought this was not the right place to discuss these matters?

You think everything, color, and clarity can be just overcome by software. Why be picky about your lenses at all? The idea lack of AA filter can be made up by primitive software sharpening is preposterous.

Also your comments about people working to get the best out of there lenses technically, but making boring photographs anyway, is just a pointless insult directed at whom I don't even care.

This has become a very interesting thread in spite of your usual derogatory input, as the issue of sensor design and it's effects on lens performance is real and can be very large. As we view samples of various lenses it's as important to know the sensor as it was to know the type of film, in fact more so. Smile The idea this is somehow off topic in evaluating the samples of a given lens is crazy. Should I also ignore whether the sample is from APS-C, where corners and edges are going to be totally different?

If you don't care how the camera is effecting the lens, that's fine. Insisting others should not care is pretty silly since the differences can be very obvious to anyone paying attention, except the truly stubborn Smile

You are so full of bile and hatred you really should seek professional help.

Oh, and stop telling me what my opinions are; you are always wrong and just make yourself look foolish.

Funny how you find almost anything I say derogatory, that shows you have an ego problem.

Back to the subject of 35mm lenses; I have found one that is perhaps the sharpest (centrally at least) of all I have tried. Schneider-Kreuznach SL Angulon 2.8/35.

Wide open on NEX-3 at sunset, few lenses do so well in such marginal light.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a Super Angulon 35 2.8 ( QBM mount) with my A7 . Its performance was really weak out of the center and I was disappointed .
I did not keep it. A direct comparison with my MD Rokkor W was tough for this Schneider.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

the Super Angulon isn't the best option for a A7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SL-Angulon 35/2.8 shows a noticeable field curve on the A7. I found the corner become just OK on F5.6 with a brick wall. My MD 35/1.8 is much better than it at corners in the same F-stop. However, I won't sell the SL-Angulon as it has one of the most balanced color in my lens collection. The field curve can be good for certain kinds of photos.

Here is two samples of the SL-Angulon on A7. Click to see the full res. photo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info on the Angulon, cheers. It certainly impresses on APS-C and Calvin;s shots show very good IQ to my eyes. Stopping down a wide angle is not much of a hinderance to me really, for shallower dof work I would be using a 50 instead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 really like that Schneider's rendering.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have two favorites -- one can be found for a reasonable price, and the other usually not.

For years, my favorite 35mm lens was the old Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. It's a beautifully made lens and mine has always delivered exceptional images. Plus you can usually find one for a reasonable price, if you're patient.

This next lens, you'll have to be extremely patient to find one at a reasonable price, ever since it was "discovered" by the mirrorless crowd a couple years ago: the Vivitar 35mm f/1.9. This lens is exceedingly sharp and contrasty. I bought one in Canon FD mount just to add to my collection about five years ago. Paid $40 for it. But that was then. Now it's a different story. You might possibily be able to pick one up for cheaper in Minolta MD/MC mount or Canon FD (not easily adaptable to either Canon EOS, Pentax, or Nikon), but because of the rising popularity of mirrorless cameras, this distinction may no longer hold.

Thank you for suggesting the Vivitar 1.9. I found a minty one (FD mount) for $20, and it is a wonderful little lens!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

You are so full of bile and hatred you really should seek professional help.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Smile No doubt I'm so insane I'll soon be claiming there are some special R lenses.
So nice to see you contributing as usual to a friendly and open atmosphere. Wink
Ever respectful of all opinions, and always modest. Smile

But to the topic:
Another 35 which is pretty good on the A7:

Slicing by unoh7, 35/1.2 Voigtlander (here on M9)

2 more, both wide open Smile

McQueen by unoh7, on Flickr

Cigarettes by unoh7, on Flickr

You see these now sometimes under 600USD. A second version came out after prices went way up on the original aspherical elements. Both are good. It's the fastest 35 ever made and perhaps the most useful superspeed lens ever, since there is more DOF to work with than a 50 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
RE, AUTO TOPCOR 2.8 / 35
Carl Zeiss Flektogon 2.8 / 35
Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8 / 35
Voigtländer Color-Skoparex 2.8 / 35 (same as Distagon)
Minolta MC W. Rokkor-HH 1.8 / 35

Those i have experienced and liked on the a7

If you can only choose one?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Flektogon!

http://manuellfokus.no/carl-zeiss-jena-flektogon-35mm-f2-8/

If you care for the size, Nikkor 35mm f/2.5 LTM is another nice choice IMHO. Shows some magenta shift on A7R, but is fine on the A7.

http://manuellfokus.no/nippon-kogaku-w-nikkor-3-5cm-f2-5/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats better 35 2.4 or 35 2.8 carl zeiss jena?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.4 is better, it has multicoating for one thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested the following lenses on my A7 II:

* Canon new FR 2/35mm
* Minolta AR 2.8/35mm
* Minolta MC-I, MC-II, MC-X 2.8/35mm (7 lens)
* Minolta MC-X / MD-I / MD-III 2.8/35mm (5 lens)
* Minolta MC-X 1.8/35mm
* Minolta MD-II / MD-III 1.8/35mm
* Nikkor AiS 2/35mm

Corner sharpness and CAs were best on the 5-lens version of the Minolta 2.8/35mm.

Later i have compared the Minolta MD-III 2.8/35mm with the Sony/Zeiss 2.8/35mm, using the Sony A7R II 42 MP Sensor. I could not see much diffences:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/434-sony-a7rii-and-summilux-1-4-35mm-asph-sony-zeiss-fe-2-8-35mm-and-minolta-md-2-8-35mm
Given the fact that Sony uses internal corrections for the ZE 2.8/35mm, i am pretty sure that the MD-III 2.8/35mm is the better lens than the Sony/Zeiss ZE 2.8/35mm.

Stephan

EDIT: Mistake corrected "Minolta MC-X / MD-I / MD-III 2.8/25 (5 lens)" replaced by "Minolta MC-X / MD-I / MD-III 2.8/35mm (5 lens)"

Last edited by stevemark on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I have tested the following lenses on my A7 II:

* Canon new FR 2/35mm
* Minolta AR 2.8/35mm
* Minolta MC-I, MC-II, MC-X 2.8/35mm (7 lens)
* Minolta MC-X / MD-I / MD-III 2.8/25 (5 lens)
* Minolta MC-X 1.8/35mm
* Minolta MD-II / MD-III 1.8/35mm
* Nikkor AiS 2/35mm

Corner sharpness and CAs were best on the 5-lens version of the Minolta 2.8/35mm.

Later i have compared the Minolta MD-III 2.8/35mm with the Sony/Zeiss 2.8/35mm, using the Sony A7R II 42 MP Sensor. I could not see much diffences:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/434-sony-a7rii-and-summilux-1-4-35mm-asph-sony-zeiss-fe-2-8-35mm-and-minolta-md-2-8-35mm
Given the fact that Sony uses internal corrections for the ZE 2.8/35mm, i am pretty sure that the MD-III 2.8/35mm is the better lens than the Sony/Zeiss ZE 2.8/35mm.

Stephan

There is no MD-iii 2.8/35 in your list.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

There is no MD-iii 2.8/35 in your list.

Thanks for finding my mistake! I have corrected it Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Mir wrote:
RE, AUTO TOPCOR 2.8 / 35
Carl Zeiss Flektogon 2.8 / 35
Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8 / 35
Voigtländer Color-Skoparex 2.8 / 35 (same as Distagon)
Minolta MC W. Rokkor-HH 1.8 / 35

Those i have experienced and liked on the a7

If you can only choose one?

I couldn't ! Rolling Eyes

But from the three i kept, i've been using the Minolta MC W. Rokkor-HH 1.8 / 35 more than the others....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has mentioned the humble Canon FD 35/2.8. According http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=4114 Imatest test charts, the resolution is impressive.

I've got one for 50 € as new ... I just need the A7 Smile
Happy shots and new Year por all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhuo7: Your images have a very nice quality to them; I can usually tell one of you images before reading it was from you. There is little doubt in my mind that your excellent lenses have a great deal to do with that, and perhaps also your attention to camera and sensor. I remember when you decided to keep the A7 over the A7r which I thought was strange, but you had evaluated the two sensors' performance with certain lenses. I applaud you for your attention to such details and excellent taste in gear. Since these disputes are not new, I suspect a great deal of it is because this community is largely made up of bargain hunters and/or folks with limited resources; yours truly notwithstanding.

I have just acquired a Nikkor pre ai 35mm in wonderful condition. It and three others are my first Nikkors ever. Strange that I have acquired north of 100 lenses and none have been Nikkor or Canon. I will now have another lens to compare to my Flek, Primagon, Soligor, and Topcor. I already know the Soligor is in last place. The Topcor gets the most use by far up to this point. Given the Topcor resolution and the fact it is equally as sharp at f/2.8 through f/16, I have had little need for another.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are your thoughts of the Nikkor 35? (Is it f/2?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
So what are your thoughts of the Nikkor 35? (Is it f/2?)

Don't know yet. Embarassed Bought a trunk full of stuff and haven't been brave enough yet to try smuggling into the house. Have to wait for the right opportunity, probably Sunday. The 35mm was the only one I didn't inspect before buying, but everything else was very well kept.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Bought a trunk full of stuff and haven't been brave enough yet to try smuggling into the house.

Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Bought a trunk full of stuff and haven't been brave enough yet to try smuggling into the house.

Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1

Last night through the cover of darkness when all thro' the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse, I slipped outdoors and grabbed four lenses to bring into the house. Aha, the Nikkor 35mm is the f/2.8.

As hard to believe as it may be, these are my first Nikon lenses, so I must first get an adapter before I can use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Last night through the cover of darkness when all thro' the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse, I slipped outdoors and grabbed four lenses to bring into the house. Aha, the Nikkor 35mm is the f/2.8.

As hard to believe as it may be, these are my first Nikon lenses, so I must first get an adapter before I can use.

The Nikkor 35/2.8 is almost as excellent as the Minolta MD 35/2.8 in the latest 5-lens version. I have both lenses.

However, as the Nikkors are operating in the opposite direction for aperture and focus compared to the Rokkors, I still prefer to use my Rokkors instead. Can't get used to the Nikkors as a long time Rokkor user. Wink So I only have 2 Nikkor lenses which I've got free of charge some years ago. Maybe I should rather sell them as they are mainly collecting dust.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
woodrim wrote:

The Nikkor 35/2.8 is almost as excellent as the Minolta MD 35/2.8 in the latest 5-lens version. I have both lenses.

However, as the Nikkors are operating in the opposite direction for aperture and focus compared to the Rokkors, I still prefer to use my Rokkors instead. Can't get used to the Nikkors as a long time Rokkor user. Wink So I only have 2 Nikkor lenses which I've got free of charge some years ago. Maybe I should rather sell them as they are mainly collecting dust.

If you got them for free, maybe you should give it to me for free?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
If you got them for free, maybe you should give it to me for free?

I will think about. Smile

However, when (if at all) I am starting to reduce my collection of lenses I will most probably do it only for the financing of a new camera. Most likely a Leica M9 or even a newer model to upgrade my collection of RF lenses for FF usage. You certainly will understand that I would need some money for that project. If I manage to get the Leica for free I will send you my Nikkors free of charge. Promised! Wink