Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Questions re: Elcan 180/3.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Questions re: Elcan 180/3.4 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm wondering if you might be able to share a little information about a lens, and offer some thoughts on the "ethics" of performing a mount conversion on it. I'm eager to have the benefit of your advice.

The lens in question is a 180/3.4 "R" Leitz Elcan (the military version, I gather, of the Apo-Telyt). This one has obviously seen a good bit of use over its lifetime, as one might expect of a lens used by the armed forces, but it seems to be mechanically and optically sound. Some of the online reference sources call this an "extremely rare" lens, and I've seen production estimates of only 25-30 units. (I think there must have been at least 50, because my lens's serial number is 303-050.)

I would be really grateful for some reliable information about the "true" rarity of this lens - maybe even a thought or two about the value of a user example.

Now - and I'm wincing as I type this, acknowledging that this is heresy - on to the mount conversion question.

I currently do not own a body that can mount this lens. I'm a Pentax shooter, and it's not terribly likely that I will be acquiring an EOS-mount DSLR (or a Leicaflex) in the near future. So I'm toying with the idea of converting this lens to Pentax K, using one of the Leitax kits. (I've successfully converted a "user" Summicron 50/2 in the past.)

On the basis of my one Leitax experience (and many comments from other users), I think it's fair to say that the Leitax conversion is fully reversible, without damage or difficulty. (I would not say the same, for example, about the DIY Topcon->M42 conversions; I've done three of those, and while they may be technically reversible, I think it's more realistic to think of that procedure as a one-way operation.)

So there it is. Can some kind soul enlighten me as to the rarity/scarcity of the Elcan? And what say you to the notion of converting it?

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

PS If you regard the idea of converting the lens as an abomination, please say so; don't be concerned about hurting my feelings. I have some sympathy with that view, and that's why I'm asking the question.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I protest against lens conversions, in today world a second hand m4/3 body is cheap and virtually all lens is mountable so not necessary to ruin any lens to feed our curiosity. All old lenses , cameras are a historical piece and one times will be very rare and valuable. I met sometimes converted and ruined rare lenses it was a big pain to see "damn asshole" ruined at home many years ago and no other copy available. For example I have a pre-war Carl Zeiss Tessar 12cm lens without blades and with nasty cut on mount. I never seen any other copy ever!! Just this ruined one.

Another point of view at the beginning I did convert one or to lens by myself and never used them more than once, conversion was inconvenience etc.

I got my Tair-3 300mm f4.5 with Canon FD mount that time I had NO m4/3camera I did order a professional conversion to Nikon mount. Looks made by factory I am happy to use it , no inconvenience and I feel I didn't ruin it I am happy with it.

Finally my hint is next please contact to our members hk300 and trifox both are offer affordable prices and professional work on conversion.
Ask them and decide what you think is best for you and best for this lens future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila,

Thank you so much for your wise, thoughtful reply.

I also collect (and restore) vintage fountain pens, so I'm very familiar with the feeling of encountering a rare specimen that has been ruined by an inexpert "restoration".

My inclination is to leave the lens in its current state. The future will only bring more options for non-destructive adaptation.

I'd still love to know just how "rare" it might be, though.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Attila,

Thank you so much for your wise, thoughtful reply.

I also collect (and restore) vintage fountain pens, so I'm very familiar with the feeling of encountering a rare specimen that has been ruined by an inexpert "restoration".

My inclination is to leave the lens in its current state. The future will only bring more options for non-destructive adaptation.

I'd still love to know just how "rare" it might be, though.

Cheers,

Jon

Many thanks for your wise decision!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the conversion of APO-TELYT to Pentax mount with Leitax adapter is absolutely nondestructive and fully reversible. Just remove 12 screws and store six of them, the cams and Leica-R mount on secure place. The biggest challenge is not to lose the bearing ball Wink

If you are not sure, please post images of the lens and the mount, to confirm it´s the same as on APO-TELYT.

My opinion is, that it is a sin to leave this superb lens collect dust!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon could you share a photo of this lens? Very Happy It sounds nice.