Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Questions, color dynarex 200\3.5, Jena s 135\4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Questions, color dynarex 200\3.5, Jena s 135\4 Reply with quote

Regarding the Dynarex, I can't find much info on this Voigtlander only on the F4, does anyone use this lens and is it worth buying ?
I've got hold of a 135mm F4 lens amongst other items I bought as a bundle, its silver and the only markings are on the front retaining ring which is Jena, serial # 6453517 and S 1:4 f=135, again any info appreciated.
Thanks
John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jena is a well known 4/135 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar in aluminum finish - very nice lens.
I don't know about the dynarex - there was one in DKL mount but i guess it was a 4/200. What is the finish of the body ?
If it is black most probably made in Japan ( like this one http://www.sonynex.ru/index.php?showtopic=9135 )
so i would most probably avoid it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voigtländer lens is this one: Rolleinar MC 1:3,5/200mm AKA Voigtländer Color-Dynarex 200 3.5 AR.

Here you can see some sample pictures from this lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hq8s5vd2/sets/72157639152714646/

It seems to be a rather capable lens.

Anyway it's a different lens compared to the old F4 version made in Germany. Though, I don't know which one is the better one. Most probably the newer F3.5 version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, although somewhat confused lol, Stephan yes that is the lens so any particular reason to avoid it ? Yes Thomas it does have the Rollei mount and those photos don't look to shabby do they Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just into older lenses - preferably German made Wink
The ones made before the plastic revolution.

If it is made by Mamiya it should not be very bad i guess - even if it is only 4 elements.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
I'm just into older lenses - preferably German made Wink
The ones made before the plastic revolution.

If it is made by Mamiya it should not be very bad i guess - even if it is only 4 elements.

It's made by Rollei/Singapore. Actually it's still the modified Voigtländer design. The original 200mm Color-Skopar was designed for the Bessamatic and built by Voigtländer in Germany. After the fusion of Voigtländer with Zeiss those lenses have still been built by Voigtländer in Braunschweig, though some of them have been marked as Zeiss lenses for the later Icarex. After the closure of SLR production of Zeiss in Germany the whole production unit went to Rollei where the introduced the Rollei SL35 AKA Voigtländer VSL1. Shortly after that they moved the whole production unit to Singapore (I believe in 1974) where then all cameras and lenses have been made until Rollei went bankrupt in 1981 and everything was closed down. That's the whole story.

Actually there is no difference in quality from the production units in Braunschweig and in Singapore. Only in the beginning in Singapore some issues with qualitiy control are known. Apart from that we are actually talking about Voigtländer, no matter what's printed on the lens (Zeiss, Rollei or Voigtländer) as long as the mount is in QBM aka Rollei AR. If the lens is in M42 it's a little bit more tricky to distinguish between Zeiss and Voigtländer, though all M42 lenses for the Zeiss Icarex and Voigtländer VSL are made by Voigtländer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK looks like a buyer then, now for a little bargaining lol. thanks very much for the history background Thomas.

Is it unusual for the 135 Jena to not carry the full Zeiss name ? I've been looking for others on the web to check value but they've all seemed to carry the full C Z J nameplates

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
OK looks like a buyer then, now for a little bargaining lol. thanks very much for the history background Thomas.

Is it unusual for the 135 Jena to not carry the full Zeiss name ? I've been looking for others on the web to check value but they've all seemed to carry the full C Z J nameplates

I'm not sure how unusual it is. I have a Jena Flektogon 25, that doesn't have the Carl Zeiss on it. I found this (below) on Captain Jack's CZ pages a while back. The site (http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Zeiss%20page.htm) seems to be down now.

"It should be noted that at various times in the history of Carl Zeiss Jena, due to import/export restrictions, etc., their lenses were sometimes marked Aus Jena or just plain Jena. I don't particularly differentiate these variations."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:

There have been some copyright and licensing issues between the Western Germany Zeiss foundation at Oberkochen and the GDR Kombinat "VEB Zeiss Jena". Therefore for export the GDR lenses from Zeiss Jena have been not allowed to carry the Zeiss name which resulted in the "aus Jena DDR" markings as from 1971. So obviously this lens was produced after that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, to the rescue again lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
It's made by Rollei/Singapore. Actually it's still the modified Voigtlaender design.

are you sure and can you proof it?

Voigtlaender AR lenses are also avaible as Rolleinar, build by Mamiya and not based on the same design as Zeiss or Voigtlaender lenses without the "AR" markings.

There is a Color Dynarex 4/200 (without "AR") which is the same design as the Tele Tessar 4/200 for the Rolleiflex SL35. And there is a very rare Tele-Tessar 3.5/200 for the Rolleiflex, but it has nothing to do with the Color Dynarex AR 3.5/200 or Rolleinar 3.5/200

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
tb_a wrote:
It's made by Rollei/Singapore. Actually it's still the modified Voigtlaender design.

are you sure and can you proof it?

Voigtlaender AR lenses are also avaible as Rolleinar, build by Mamiya and not based on the same design as Zeiss or Voigtlaender lenses without the "AR" markings.

Nope. Obviously the lens production went to Mamiya as from 1977 and also to Kiron and some others in the 1980's. Extremely sad story what happened to Voigtländer in the 70's and 80's of the last century.

So you're right. It's even more complicated to distinguish between the production plants or the producer. An easy attempt would be to look for the "Made in" markings on the lens. Therefore my previous posting is only true if the lens was produced before 1977 either in Germany or later in Singapore. Afterwards it may be Mamiya or any other Japanese lens producer.

It's no wonder that they went bankrupt. Wink

I thought that it would be more easy at least with Voigtländer. I personally don't care about Rollei anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
I personally don't care about Rollei anyway.

maybe you should... most primes are just wonderful. The Zeiss.. the Schneider, but also the Mamiya made Rolleinar or Voigtlaender AR. And there are some real gems... as example the Rolleinar 2.8/85 and 2.8/105 (also available as Voigtlaender Color Dynarex AR) are incredible good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
tb_a wrote:
I personally don't care about Rollei anyway.

maybe you should... most primes are just wonderful. The Zeiss.. the Schneider, but also the Mamiya made Rolleinar or Voigtlaender AR. And there are some real gems... as example the Rolleinar 2.8/85 and 2.8/105 (also available as Voigtlaender Color Dynarex AR) are incredible good.

I don't want to start with a new fancy mount and have already too many lenses anyway. Voigtländers in M42 are OK for me as I can use them also on FF on my Sony A850. I just bought an Ultron 50/1.8 and the Color-Dynarex 135/4 in M42. For APS-C I prefer to use RF lenses from Voigtländer and Leica or anything out of my extensive Minolta MF lens collection.
Additionally I've already decided to avoid the A7x due to the known issues with certain lenses and the way out (Kolari-Mod.) is too expensive and complicated for me. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very good lens,especially stopped down a little.Pretty sharp.Not too much CA.It does quite well on the Sony A7/R.My copy is it's equivalent branded Rolleinar AR 200/3.5 in the QBM mount.Here at f3.5 on the A7R in a very difficult,harsh light:
http://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1437417393.SEQ.2.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the QBM lenses, the less common Schneiders are real gems, I have the Angulon 2.8/35 and it's probably the best 35 I own, surpassing the CZJ Prakticar 2.4/35 (Flektogon) and the Mamiya-Sekor 2.8/35 (which is the same lens as sold as a Rolleinar 2.8/35). I don't have the Xenon 1.8/50 but I do have the earlier Xenon 1.9/50 and it's superb. The Tele-Xenar 3.5/135 is also a gem and surpasses the CZJ Prakticar 3.5/135 (Sonnar). I reckon these Schneiders are the equal of their Zeiss T*/HFT equivalents. Speaking of which, I have the Planar 1.4/50, Planar 1.8/50 and Tele-Tessar 4/200, all in QBM and they are superb and much cheaper than their T* equivalents in C/Y mount.

So don't overlook the QBM lenses, they are usually 50-70% the price of Contax T* so represent real value.