Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about Canon EF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Question about Canon EF lenses Reply with quote

I was wondering has anyone got an EF lens to autofocus on a Micro 4/3 body yet without an expensive adapter? The only adapters I've seen can only give aperature control and not the autofocus function and I have been looking everywhere on the net to see if it is possible, even a DIY job I cant seem to find anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that.
Rephrasing, your question is whether somebody finally managed to hack into Canon proprietary firmware?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess. Embarassed

Enabling the Canon auto-focus points was relatively simple. Apparently auto-focus of the lens requires more 'intelligence', i.e. some firmware programming, along with protocol conversions, which both require more components than will fit in the space allotted. I would think the protocol has been thoroughly hacked -- the problem is the cost of implementing the hack into a package small enough. Sure a custom chip could be designed small enough but cost of chip dies makes this uneconomical -- in the quantities likely to be produced, the chip could easily retail for more than a Canon camera.