Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praying Mantis
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Praying Mantis Reply with quote

I found a praying mantis outside my front door a couple nights ago. So what did I do? Grabbed my macro bellows II, K-7, and Vivtar 135.. 1:2.5 for some macros. For the shots with that rig, magnification of about 1:1.5 or so on the APS-C sensor is at 24 to 30 inches.

For scale, this mantis is about 2.25 inches long. The head, though is pretty tiny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad at all and the magnify ratio is good enough than 1:1, i wonder how heavy you deal with those macro equipment?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Declan,

The weight isn't bad. Maybe four pounds. But because the lens is nice and heavy, it provides a good balance and it's easy to use and swings comfortably. I can't get a steady shot much below 1/250th (estimated) on film or 1/125th on the image-stabilized K-7, but that's okay.

I tried the macro bellows with my Rodagon 80mm f4 and all the shots but one were blurry. Compared to the 35, the f4 shots were during the day without a flash. I think all three of those shots needed the camera's flash.

I'll get a photo of the rig at some point. It's pretty simple and the magnification range is superb. The bellows wasn't designed for the Komine 135mm, so I can only guess at the magnification ratio, but full extended I could barely get the mantis' full head in the frame. These shots were all taken with the bellows a bit less than 2/3 extended.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a handsome lad

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about 'handsome' Patrick, I'd say it's a butt-ugly alien fiend. Laughing

Diffusing the flash would provide more sympathetic lighting. Smile nice sharp image though.

I wish we had exotic looking beasties in Scotland, all we get are big hairy coos. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great captures, superb lady !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. The second one shows superb detail. The problem I find doing macro is to get the whole subject in frame and in focus. Did you take any of the whole mantis?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Gary,

Yeah, the flash is pretty harsh, even cut by 0.7 stops. So I ordered a soft box ($2!) for my Vivitar 2500. It's the same one you had on your kit.

As for whole-body shots, not so many. The further I got from the mantis, the more agitated it seemed to be. So I managed these two shots with the insect in focus from further away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cheap mini softboxes make quite a difference, I'm sure you'll like it. Smile