Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pratica IV FB anyone used one??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Pratica IV FB anyone used one?? Reply with quote

This camera came with the CZJ Pancolor,I have looked at it's manual and read a bit about it.but a few of the dials I can not get my head around.
And this maybe the only issue....."ALTHOUGH THEY STILL WORK THEY ARE IN NEED OF A SERVICE, AS THEY ARE NO LONGER ACCURATE".Talking about the shutter speeds.
Another thing I notice is the mirror stays up when the button is pressed and is lowered when the winder is wound on.Is that normal?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is normal. This camera does not have an instant return mirror.

http://www.praktica-collector.de/146_Praktica_IV_FB.htm

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not found that site,so thank you for the link.I have gotten a quote to get the camera serviced + new shutter $300 + so it may just sit there for awhile,although I do like to get cameras I buy fully functional...otherwise whats the point in having a broken camera sitting around?? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people got stumped by the earlier two-range type Praktica shutter; mis-match of the two dials would give pretty funky speeds.

Just for the record:

The main shutter speed dial is a "lift, turn and drop" type, the rim has a dot which you line up with the speed numbers. These numbers are marked in black and red, black for the fast range, and red for the slow range. On top of the main dial is a smaller, two-position dial, where it can be set against a black or a red mark on the top plate: when it is set to black, only the black speed numbers are effective, and likewise for the red.

There is, however, a common setting on the main dial, which is a dot between "25" and "2"; this same setting delivers 1/25 if the top dial is set to black, and 1/2 if set to red.

In a sense it is actually quite neat: the black speeds are hand-holdable speeds, but the red ones would need additional support. The only discrepancy is that "B" is on the black range.

Hope this is of some use.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Seele
That makes more sense now with the black and red,So would you say the ideal speed to leave it on would be 100 black just for everyday shots?Or a little trial and error is needed to find out? Laughing
What do the blue, red and black numbers mean on the base of the re-winder dial mean?
Blue = from 60 to 1(the last three numbers are faded I think they are 4,2,1)
Red=again the first two are faded so I guess ?,5,10
black=25,50,100,200,500
I know how to set the ASA speed but the numbers confuse me on the outer dial.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo,

It depends on the film speed you are using, and the focal length of the lens you use it with; but for my money, 1/100s would be a safe slowest shutter speed to aim for.

Being a "B" model, it has a built-in selenium exposure meter, and the ring around the rewind knob is for controlling it. After you set the film speed, the outer ring should turn, this moves a second pointer (with a circle at the end) along the length of the arc-shape window on the top plate. Depending on the intensity of light falling on the selenium cell, a slender galvanometer needle can be seen at different position in the window as well, so what you need to do is to turn the dial until both needles are in the same position, hence "match-needle".

The numbers on the turning outer rim and the stationary inner ring are shutter speed and aperture numbers. As the dial is turned, you get different relative positions, and each pairing of shutter speed and aperture setting would give you identical exposure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that makes sense,the needle moves in "inside" light and bright light.I will have to get it fixed to see it work properly.or run a film through and be surprised! I have a lot of kodak gold 400 so that is my test film.