Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prakticar to EF mount adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Prakticar to EF mount adapter Reply with quote

I got it at eBay, someone in this forum kindly mentioned this adapter. Since then I
hunted it down, and used a little with EOS_5D so far. It costed me 54 GBP!

It looks like this.

Mounted on 5D

Prakticar 28mm is mounted together

Lens' black rear protecter is taken out to avoid hitting the mirror

---------------- test shots ----------------

@f2.4 Bokeh (generally this lens has a good bokeh in different situation too)

@f5.6 Flat object (very sharp at this aperture, about 1m from camera)

@f8 Relatvively far object lens at 3m setting (not too sharp)

@f2.4 Very near object, focused at dog's eye (the lens has a floating element)

Anyway it works, HOWEVER there are a couple of problems with this adapter.

1) The worst thing first, it cannot achieve infinity focus as it is. I have tested a couple of
lenses, they all could not reach inifinity as eBay seller (ciecio7 from Poland) says.
2) You cannot mount and dismount without dismantle the whole adapter from camera
just like C/Y->EF mount adapter.
3) Genuine CZJ Prakticars are generally hard to mount to this adapter, maybe due to
strict manufacturing tolerance (I guess). Since newer Pentacon made Practicars are
easier to mount, actually no problem I had.

So this accessary is not perfect. But I can fix 1) by thinning the adapter base metal
by 0.1 ~ 0.15mm to achieve an infinity focus, and 2) make a dent to EF-mount base
so that release handle of adapter can go down a bit, it can release the mounted lens
without taking out the whole thing.
Fixing 1) can fix 3) in the above too. Fixing 2) makes camera unsalable I am sure, but
it is much better for me. The reason I bought this adapter is to use Prakticars with FF
dSLR such as EOS_5D. Even after taking the lens rear cover out, 5D's mirror still hits
the lens at closer to its inifinity mark. This is only solved by shaving the mirror.

That's all for today. (Of course I keep it though.)

Last edited by koji on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:37 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for sharing this essential information about Prakticar lenses.