Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praktica IVB with built in light meter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Praktica IVB with built in light meter Reply with quote

First one what I seen locally , seems rare. What do you think about this camera, pls don't tell me Prakticas are garbage Wink I know them quite well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Praktica IVB with built in light meter Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
pls don't tell me Prakticas are garbage ;.

erm I think our new member has disappeared Wink But the only Praktica I have is the BC1 (ignoring the MTLs) which is not much help to you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Praktica IVB with built in light meter Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Attila wrote:
pls don't tell me Prakticas are garbage ;.

erm I think our new member has disappeared Wink But the only Praktica I have is the BC1 (ignoring the MTLs) which is not much help to you.

Smile yes he is gone and hopefully and never return back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the disappearance of someone . . . but I do recall the Praktica IVB.

Prakticas certainly weren't garbage, but they did tend to have certain problems with the shutters back in the 1960s. The IV series and the Novas, ad the Super TL models. Maybe the survivors still do, but any 50 year old camera might be expected to have its share of them.

Problem was that the shutter curtains tended to stick to themselves when rolled, I think usually when cocked but can't be sure. according to the repairers, the dye used on the curtains remained "tacky" and caused the problem. That jammed the camera and required a major dismantle to fix. Perhaps the survivors's shutter curtains have dried out now . . .

The meters were never particularly good, but once again that was true of many built in selenium ones in the 60s. Maybe the East German meter cells weren't as good as some others, but that's just my guess.

The IVB never sold in huge numbers in the UK, nothing like as many as the IV or the later IVF. The IVFB was probably even less popular. I think dealers tended to suggest buying a good hand held meter - you could get a Weston for about the same price as you paid extra for the metered Praktica.

Hope that's of some use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephen as always!

I bought many Prakticas usually for lens and give bodies to my friends , due I need space.

Most of them still works well I never expect from cheap cameras after decades.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen one of those.

Prakticas most certainly ain't crap, when I was at art college in the early 90s everyone bought Pentax cameras to use, mostly spotmatics, I had a MTL5 and a couple of others, they worked great and I liked the Pentacon 1.8/50 better than the Takumars the others used, more character. I also had a Nova and it came in very handy once, some druggie tried to mug me and I clonekd him in the side of the head with the Nova, knocked him senseless as it's such a solid heavy chunk of metal. It jammed on me a couple of times and I managed to unjam it by banging it on a table top, I think I paid 2ukp for it from a junk shop in Carlisle. Worst thing about Prakticas was the shutter and mirror mechanism, I think the springs used to stretch and wear out, and I think they used some dodgy lubricant/grease that would gum up, pretty easy camera to work on and repair though, college technician told me they were a joy to work on compared to the Pentaxes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IV series is one the most highly regarded series of Praktica cameras. They were made before the Nova was introduced - which was the model that probably did the most to give Praktica a bad name - all new design + relentless cost cutting = a not very reliable camera. Of course they fixed that when they came out with the Nova 1, which turned out to be an excellent model.

The IV was actually rather expensive when it was new, and it's a very sturdy camera, I think you will probably enjoy it. The only odd thing is the advance lever on the bottom of the camera instead of the top. The last ones even had an instant return mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MOS! My favorite Praktica if there any MTL5b and Praktica VLC series. I respect them due many of them I bough works very well even a single maintenance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attlia,
It looks like my IVFB the ink of the F may have rubbed off on yours? Butkus has the instructions for it...I have never used it because all the dials confuse me... Laughing Rolling Eyes The meter on mine still shows signs of life but how reliable is it I do not know.
The lever and the circle tripod area has the black leather on mine not white like yours.It is not as heavy as the Ricoh TLS but still a nice solid camera to hold in the hand.Since I have not used it I have no idea how it performs with film...I just like it. Very Happy

Have a look HERE There is a IVb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Mo with external light meter, to me looks like a fine piece.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repaired a IV once.

Its pretty simple and easy to work on, which is an important point !

Looked like an OK camera. I had no problem with the shutter curtains. It did not have the rubberized fabric like the later Exaktas, thats always cracked and pinholed.

The most interesting feature was the double cocking/winding option - this is the only camera I know that you can use either the lever on the bottom or the knob on the top.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know it, thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have (but never used) the iv. It is much better build quality than the later MTLs. In fact it's such a nice looking camera, it is my avatar.