Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait attempts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Portrait attempts Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to my very first portrait attempts which are going to be given to both on the pictures as a gift from me. I mean as a reward that we are good friends. They wanted something unussual, so I decided to go to old factory area...

I´m open to any critic, as these are my first, so what do You thing about them? What to improve, what to take care? any photoshop needed on colours, saturation and so on?

Just a short explanation, photos are taken with my only D200 and a nikkor 50 mm f2 just before rain started.

Here we go...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really original compositions, Milanos. Pre-rain situations give a difficult light to manage, but you have resolved it very well.

Thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I might sound harsh and I am maybe not the one to give critics, I am by no means a professional on the subject (giving criticism nor photography). So take the criticism with a grain of salt.

Picture 1.

There is not many people I want to stare into the crouch of. And none of them are male Wink. The composition is fine to me. I kind of like that the image is leaning, adds a bit of dynamic in the image. I think that it is a bit too cropped by the foot at the bottom. I like how the arms and hands are placed, thats something thats always hard for me myself, doing something interesting with the arms. I also think that the image really could use some contrast. The face looks a bit flat to me, with no deep shadows, only darker midtones. Also, try getting something shiny next to you, anything that gives some more catchlight in the eyes. Preferably both, there is a small hint of catchlight in his right eye, but the left looks all black to me.

Lastly, I can see in the second picture that there is something, the pole, that gives a "story" to the image, which balances the focus with the model. You think "a model with a pole", rather then "a model". I like that. And it could have been done in this picture aswell. Anything really, a can of soda in his hand. A pack of cigarettes on the ground beside him or whatever really. Smile

- Crouch, try not to have people spreading their legs to the viewer.
- Lack of contrast.
- Lack of catchlight in eyes.
- Tight crop at bottom, compared to all the other sides that have lots of air.
- Maybe a bit more colour? Im not sure, might be my badly calibrated monitor.

+ Arms and hands adds to the composition, rather then ruining it.
+ Well exposed.
+ Relaxed position, seem rather spontaneus.

Picture 2

This picture is completly in my style. The only negative thing I have to say is that the crop should/could be done differently imho. There is too much air on the top and the left side of the image, for me. Also this image aswell as the first could use some more contrast, but not lacking it as much. Women with dark makeup help here. They give dynamic in the tonal contrast by themselves. I love the arms and hands in this image aswell, well done. I am glad that the pole hides the crouch Wink.

- Crop

+ Dynamics of movement of the model.
+ Intresting pose and expression
+ The pole that adds something to the picture, not making the model the only point of focus.

Very well done for first try. Keep it up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the compositions, angle of view and the choice of background show you have considerable creative potential. Zewrak's criticisms are worth thinking about but originality means getting away from established poses and studio-type compositions and you are obviously going for the tough realism, look, which fits your subjects - certainly the first one.

I think the lighting could be better, with the assistance of off-camera flash and reflectors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall very nice.

Some minor suggestions:

Pic #1, the light color building on the right is quite distracting to my eye. Maybe you can crop it out?

Pic #2, the background a bit complex.