Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please advise which Russian lenses are best to purchase
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
woodrim wrote:
I agree that most of the Russian lenses seem good. From my experience...

Had a MIR 37mm and didn't like it.

Helios-44 58/2 is a great bargain and good performer, but I fond that I don't use it very much.

Had a Volna 80/2.8 Was okay, but sold it.

I have Jupiter 11 135/4 and don't use it at all. It's good enough, but I have better and faster.

Kaleinar-3B 150/2.8 can be good, but very difficult to use (focus).

Now for my favorites...

Jupiter-9 85/2 has found a permanent slot in my bag and has become one of my most used lenses.

Kalejnar 100/2.8 is extremely sharp (at least my copy)

Tair-11 133/2.8 I have two copies of this great lens, both equally good. One of my favorite lenses (favorite Russian) and best bokeh.

Is there a reason to get the Jupiter 9 over the Rokkor-X 85/2?

Thanks

I don't have a Rokkor 85/2 for comparison, but wish I did. I would say there is no reason to choose one over the other except for cost or certain characteristics differences. The J-9 has a many bladed diaphragm, which I like. People report copy variances, which isn't good. The Rokkor isn't likely to have much copy variance and is likely built very solidly. In technical terms, I would guess the Rokkor a better lens, but the J-9 may have more character (which could also be technically considered flaws). I'm sure I would enjoy having both even though impractical. I won't part with my J-9 but wouldn't hesitate to get a Rokkor if affordable. All my opinion, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Is there a reason to get the Jupiter 9 over the Rokkor-X 85/2?

Yes, if you have a camera that won't take MD lenses, or short on cash. That being said, I've owned two Jupiter 9's, silver in M39, and black in m M42. One from 1965, the other 1977. I ended up selling both of them, and don't regret that decision for a second. Both was unacceptably soft wide open, and too unwieldy to my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the concensus for #1 and #2 Russian lens to get?

1. Zenitar-M 50 1.7?
2. ??

On a side note, how does the Zenitar 50/1.7 compares to the MC Rokkor 50/1.4 and Super Takumar 50/1.4 8-Element? I have these two and was wondering if I should get a 3rd 50mm in the Zenitar.

Last edited by vanylapep on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
So what is the concensus #1 and #2?

1. Zenitar-M 50 1.7?
2. ??

How does the Zenitar 50/1.7 compares to the MC Rokkor 50/1.4 and Super Takumar 50/1.4 8-Element? I have these two and was wondering if I should get a 3rd 50mm in the Zenitar.

I think i am qualified to answer that as i have all three of them
Minolta 50mm F1.4 PG brilliant lens some very smooth bokeh sharp wide open but does not have the vintage character i like on digital.
Takumar 50mm f1.4 Gets good from F2 very clinical and never rides in my bag just does not do it for me
Zenitar is always in my bag regardless of camera i have, brilliant on film, and magic on digital
top spot for me is zenitar, followed closely by minolta last takumar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

On a side note, how does the Zenitar 50/1.7 compares to the MC Rokkor 50/1.4 and Super Takumar 50/1.4 8-Element? I have these two and was wondering if I should get a 3rd 50mm in the Zenitar.

Rokkors 50/1.4 are very good lenses, light, sharp, and compact, much better than 58/1.4 in my book. But. I would choose FD 50/1.4 over Rokkor 10 times out of 10. 8-element Takumar? In my opinion people get into a frenzy over wrong 8. It is the 8-blade SMC version that should be sought.

PS. At the moment I own 8 mf 50's (and 55's).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

Rokkors 50/1.4 are very good lenses, light, sharp, and compact, much better than 58/1.4 in my book. But. I would choose FD 50/1.4 over Rokkor 10 times out of 10. 8-element Takumar? In my opinion people get into a frenzy over wrong 8. It is the 8-blade SMC version that should be sought.

Why do you prefer the Canon over the Minolta?
Why is the 8 blades more interesting?
What are your 8 lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Why do you prefer the Canon over the Minolta?
Why is the 8 blades more interesting?
What are your 8 lens?

I like Canon's bokeh a bit better - it gives creamier background, and I feel that it paints just oof areas better. I think it is sharper wide open. I believe it focuses closer.

8-blade takumar is perhaps not more interesting, but it is a better lens, tack-sharp wide open, with better contrast and less flare.

I own Zuiko 50/1.8, Zuiko 50/1.4, Nikkor 50/1.8, Nikon E 50 1.8, Nikkor Ai 55/1.2, Canon FD 50/1.8, Canon FD 50/1.4, SMC Tak 50/1.4, Pentax-M 50/1.7, SMC Pentax 50/1.4, Rokkor 50/2, Rokkor 55/1.7. I did not count in 45 and 58. Please don't ask why I have so many of them, I don't know Embarassed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

In regards of Canon I can agree with you while my favorite 50mm lens is still Canon FDn 50mm 1.4 unbeatable.

I do have also the following fifties:
Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 (8-element)
Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 (7-elemenet)
Konica Hexanon AR 50mm 1.4
Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.4
Konica Hexanon AR 50mm 1.7
Pentax-A 50mm 1.7
Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 (this I do not consider while is AF lens)
Super Takumar 55mm 2.0
Minolta MD 50mm 2.0
Mamiya Sekor Auto 50mm 2.0
Industar 55mm 2.8 L/D

and from all of these my favorite lens is Canon FDn 50mm 1.4. This is for me the best 50mm except some f1.2 lenses which I did not tried as they were very expensive. Too bad I cannot use the Canon FDn on Pentax but never going to sell it either. All other lenses perform very similar stopped down a bit and almost no difference there.

I will purchase Zenitar as this is the lens that got me really curious and I can use it on Pentax body too. I need to test Mamiya lens as it looks like that those are hidden gems. Didn't have a time to test it properly but I do like performance so far from few snapshots I did. Too many 50's I will say...

I owned Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (brand new one, made in 2013) and sold shortly after purchase while I switched the systems but I can say also that I wasn't so much impressed. As I did not test it properly and compared to Canon I can't say for sure which one I prefer but the performance for 60$ Canon and 900$ (tax incl.) Zeiss is so similar and at some points I preferred Canon over Zeiss.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Contax G 45/2 compares to the Canon FD/FDn 50/1.4?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
How does the Contax G 45/2 compares to the Canon FD/FDn 50/1.4?

I never owned Contax G but someone her for sure has it. I am guessing but all Contax G lenses are excellent and among the best as far as I know.