Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Photos from horrid negatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Photos from horrid negatives Reply with quote

Well, my third roll to develop was nightmare. The film was Kentmere 400. It is thinner than Tri-X, which caused extreme handling difficulties in the changing bag.
It just did not want to stay in the reel, or it would bunch up after I had wonud on a few frames.
Then I would have to pull the film out ansd start over, manhandling it again. I was reeling with the film still in the little can. Finally, I reel until I feel a stop in the can, so I cut it off, but it will not finish reeling. Had to start over, and over, and over, creasing the film, and tearing a sprockey hole.
Anyhow, I get it loaded and into the Paterson tank. I messed up the development, too, by setting the tank on its covered top for several seconds, draining the devloper away from the film for that amount of time. Oh no! I turn it back over and continue the drill.
Finally, after washing, I pull the film and it is only 15 negatives. The rest stayed in the cassette!
And, the negatives were horrid. I did salvage three prints. I hope the grain cl;umpiness is a result of the messy development, and not a trait of the film. Anyhow, here are some mightily touched up pics from thopse terribly maltreated negatives, shot on my FED-2d, Industar-50:

This one required the least spotting of defects:

This one required at least 500 spot fixes (or so it seemed):

This one had sweeping slashes through it:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for having this experience Wink This way I know to stay away from Kentmere. Plus, I find the Curse of the Third Roll (in my case, third and fourth) is pretty consistent. Psychological.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing in Kentmere's favor: It dries FLAT. I mean FLAT!
The developer, by the way, was Tmax, 5.5 minutes, 1-4, 68F.
Another good thing: look at the 3D effect in the lillies. Than again, it may have been that Franksteing lens: antique I-50 body, as-new optics unit from my i-50-2 ... Shocked Very Happy