Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax meter on SV
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Pentax meter on SV Reply with quote

I have one of those clip-on meters on my Pentax SV (the one with the round "switch" around the meter needle area. Does anyone know of a currently-available battery that will work with it?

I'll post a picture later if it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably have been designed for an obsolete 1.35v mercury battery Graham. I suggest you take it to your local chemists and ask them if they have a hearing aid battery which fits. You might need to make an insulating collar to stop it from shorting out.

The Spotmatic batteries were a special shape with an insulating collar, maybe your meter uses one of those too - a picture of the batter compartment would help! Smile You can still get this shape (Energizer 387 off the top of my head) but they are silver oxide type, 1.5v, so the meter needle will probably be inaccurate if you use one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, 1.35v, probably the old PX 625 then Very Happy There's a direct replacement air cell that's the same voltage Cool I'll go and see if the Little Battery Company has any.

Thanks Peter, you're a star Cool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Ah, 1.35v, probably the old PX 625 then Very Happy There's a direct replacement air cell that's the same voltage Cool I'll go and see if the Little Battery Company has any.

Thanks Peter, you're a star Cool

I think more likely it was a PX400. That's the one the SP and SPII use. The Spotmatic F uses PX625 but that was later on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax meter has a bottom contact and a side contact, so I don't think it would use the PX400 due to the plastic insulating ring. But I shall see if I can find a manual online to check first Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
The Pentax meter has a bottom contact and a side contact, so I don't think it would use the PX400 due to the plastic insulating ring. But I shall see if I can find a manual online to check first Wink

I found it. You were right first time Graham, the manual says a 1.35v Mallory PX13B or PB13, which is another reference for the PX625. The Wein Cell equivalent would be the best for you, but they aren't cheap and they have a finite life once unsealed, usually about 6 months at best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

I found it. You were right first time Graham, the manual says a 1.35v Mallory PX13B or PB13, which is another reference for the PX625. The Wein Cell equivalent would be the best for you, but they aren't cheap and they have a finite life once unsealed, usually about 6 months at best.
Splendid. I shall call you Sherlock Holmes Cool

Thanks for the warning on battery life. When I win the lottery, I'll get one of those little adaptors with the voltage reducing circuit, but at 30 quid, it's a considered purchase. For now I got the Wein for 5.50 which will at least tell me how well the meter still works.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elementary, my dear Graham. And if I win the Lottery I'll buy you one! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR44 works on mine.

Just set the film speed to the next lower setting if I recall correctly.

Best to check it against another meter to find the exact ajdustment.