Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-M 75-150mm f/4 vs Minolta MD 75-150mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Pentax-M 75-150mm f/4 vs Minolta MD 75-150mm f/4 Reply with quote

These two lenses appear similar in many ways. They cover the same focal range, and have a constant maximum aperture of f/4. Size and weight are roughly the same, and both have a 49mm filter thread.

2lenses by devoscasper, on Flickr

How do they compare? Let's start with infinity tests @ respectively 75mm, 105mm and 150mm:

infinity75mm by devoscasper, on Flickr
infinity105mm by devoscasper, on Flickr
infinity150 by devoscasper, on Flickr

@75mm: both lenses are sharp centrally at all included apertures. The Minolta has better (extreme) corners at all apertures, although the difference becomes minimal @ f/11.
@105mm: Centrally about the same. When it comes to extreme corners: it seems that the Pentax does a bit better (look @ barn roof), but in the very, very extreme corner, the Minolta's is ahead a little (see house on the right, and trees in upper right corner).
@150mm: again, centrally no significant difference. The Pentax does better in the corner department.

Let's look at the bokeh at different settings. Note: I had to do the Minolta over @ 150mm, so the background looks a bit different.
bokeh comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

No significant difference between both lenses. Let's look a 100% crops:
close focus comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

@75mm and 100mm the Pentax seems to have somewhat better contrast (images look a bit more 3D because of that). The differences are minimal though.
@150 however: the Pentax image is very soft (of close subjects) and takes stopping down to f/8 to get on the same level as the Minolta.

I like both lenses a lot; they are both quite strong performers @ most settings. Drawback of the Pentax is obviously the mediocre close focusing performance @ 150mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison.
I can't tell a lot of difference between them except for bokeh and contrast generally.
The OOF areas on the Minolta actually approach the distracting zone for me, which is just a matter of personal taste.

I've often wondered about the purpose of that focal length range, especially with all the 80-200's around. There must be some advantage in size and weight maybe?
Lot of work putting that comparison together. Thanks for posting.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Interesting comparison.
I can't tell a lot of difference between them except for bokeh and contrast generally.
The OOF areas on the Minolta actually approach the distracting zone for me, which is just a matter of personal taste.

I've often wondered about the purpose of that focal length range, especially with all the 80-200's around. There must be some advantage in size and weight maybe?

-D.S.

They are quite compact indeed, ideal for hikes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how the corners are bad at the short and for pentax and on the long end for minolta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Funny how the corners are bad at the short and for pentax and on the long end for minolta

Yeah the difference is interesting. But on 42+ mp results actually look worse than they really are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

I haven't really noticed that using my Minolta, and I can be picky. Perhaps doing comparative tests like this can be more revealing somehow, maybe I've got a better copy (some reviews showed better performance too, who knows). Either way, I choose to be happy and not look for the flaws. Once you start looking you may find them...
So far it's my favourite zoom, and while Pentax isn't supposed to on the same level, I'm sure I'd be quite satisfied with it too. The speed doesn't limit me, but the size/weight definitely helps me choose the Minolta over 70-200mm F2.8 on many occasions. It would be perfect if it was 100-200mm instead, but with these sensors I'd rather crop a little if I have to from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax-M 75-150mm f/4 vs Minolta MD 75-150mm f/4 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
These two lenses appear similar in many ways. They cover the same focal range, and have a constant maximum aperture of f/4. Size and weight are roughly the same, and both have a 49mm filter thread.

@75mm: both lenses are sharp centrally at all included apertures. The Minolta has better (extreme) corners at all apertures, although the difference becomes minimal @ f/11.
@105mm: Centrally about the same. When it comes to extreme corners: it seems that the Pentax does a bit better (look @ barn roof), but in the very, very extreme corner, the Minolta's is ahead a little (see house on the right, and trees in upper right corner).
@150mm: again, centrally no significant difference. The Pentax does better in the corner department.

Let's look at the bokeh at different settings. Note: I had to do the Minolta over @ 150mm, so the background looks a bit different.
[
No significant difference between both lenses. Let's look a 100% crops:

@75mm and 100mm the Pentax seems to have somewhat better contrast (images look a bit more 3D because of that). The differences are minimal though.
@150 however: the Pentax image is very soft (of close subjects) and takes stopping down to f/8 to get on the same level as the Minolta.

I like both lenses a lot; they are both quite strong performers @ most settings. Drawback of the Pentax is obviously the mediocre close focusing performance @ 150mm.

A good test thanks for posting!

I have the Minolta and while it's a generally good lens your results are similar to my experience. It was a bit disappointing after reading about excellent performance. It looked very good on film though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how the 75-200 f/4.5 compares to the 75-150?

I just picked one up today for £20 and am curious to see how it behaves.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how the 75-200 f/4.5 compares to the 75-150?

I just picked one up today for £20 and am curious to see how it behaves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Interesting comparison.

-D.S.

These 75-150s usually came out before the 60/70-200/210s, I think X2 was easier than X3 for the lens designers for early SLRs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty awesome image quality of the Pentax. This is about 100mm @ f/4. Click for full size:
CapmanyPortraitsPentaxM75150_3 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Pretty awesome image quality of the Pentax. This is about 100mm @ f/4. Click for full size:
CapmanyPortraitsPentaxM75150_3 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Indeed