Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Kx - First look and test shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Pentax Kx - First look and test shots Reply with quote

Well while dropping off films that I had shot at 'Kings Park' on Sunday, I spied this Pentax Kx I had my eye on as I had recently acquired a Pentax 35-80mm auto lens which I had just paid to have serviced. They normally retail for about $700-799, not on Sunday! For this week only they were on special for $360!! How could I pass that up!!

You can see my initial thoughts on the camera here on PROTAS:
http://protas.metalforfishes.com/?p=493

Here is just a small selection of my first test shots, straight out of the box:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great deal, good test. congrats, sure you'll be happy with your new acquisitions!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! nice series, beautiful fish!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.
Yeah I run the largest national fish forum over here in Oz too. I have 42 fish tanks in my fish-room so I thought I should sneak a few into my test series. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifull fishes, but I love your doggy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

42 fish tanks! wow
I have one 200l (50gal) and I find it too small Laughing but (un)fortunately I don't have room for something bigger Laughing
nice deal, great photos!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for this amazing deal! I am sure that you will like this camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Beautifull fishes, but I love your doggy!

Cheers, that is the newest edition to our little family.
Her father was a 'Neapolitan mastiff' and mum was a Great Dane X staffy.
Her name is 'BabyDoll' and she is 3 and a half months old... she is gonna be a monster! Laughing

I also have another dog 'Dengis' who is 5 and is a rottweiler X staffy. He is the best!! Very Happy
Here is a pic.

I shot this on my Sony Nex5 using my Slr Magic 28mm 2.8 manual lens.

NikonD wrote:
42 fish tanks! wow
I have one 200l (50gal) and I find it too small Laughing but (un)fortunately I don't have room for something bigger Laughing
nice deal, great photos!

Awesome! Great to meet another fish-o photographer! Very Happy

If you are interested here are some pics of my fish-room... though I have moved 12 more in since these photos were taken! hahaha
http://ozfishforsale.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,1681.0.html

kuuan wrote:
congrats for this amazing deal! I am sure that you will like this camera.

Cheers mate. I have a funny feeling I am going to love this camera also... I'm going in to put a down payment on the 14mm 2.8 lens on Friday!! That baby is gonna be sweet for live band photography!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a pity you bought the wrong Pentax - this one is the prefered model by typical fish: pentax optio W 90 Smile

please let me know, 42 fish tanks ........... how many cubic meters is that and how many fish ? and all kinds and temperatures of water ? means you run your own laboratory and power station ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate I shoot most my fish with manual lenses on my Nex and my photos with the Pentax auto lenses are great too.
I have archives and archives of great fish photos if you want proof. Wink

As for running of the tanks, I mainly keep Malawi's so all similar tank temps bar a few exceptions, my fish room is insulated to keep the heat in and is positioned with windows to maximize the suns heat into the room each day. I run all the tanks off an 80 litre a minute 60W silent air compressor so my power bill is less than most here. I also water the garden from my tanks when doing changes so I actually use less water than most and have a beautiful garden due to the fish nutrients in the water.

So, in actuality I am preserving species in my state and using less power and water than most people here in Perth. Like I said, I run the largest national fish forum over here in Oz.
Let me know if you want to see photos of fish taken with manual lenses using the Nex. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple brilliant! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great shots, for 360 that camera was a steal and you certainly know how to make it shine. Lens doesn't look too shabby either. Great work mate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shure show more, your pics are great
and your fish is probably less dangerous than your dogs, as long as you do not cross sea dog with great dane staffy Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my... so many fish tanks!
My local seller has about the same number of freshwater tanks, a couple of dozen marine tanks and 4500L (~1200 gallon) big marine tank.... paradise for my son and me Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Simple brilliant! Congrats!!

Thank you Attila.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wow, great shots, for 360 that camera was a steal and you certainly know how to make it shine. Lens doesn't look too shabby either. Great work mate.

Cheers mate. Yeah I think it was a steal too. I got it for the price of a decent Point and Shoot. hahaha
Now I just want to get a faster wide angle for my live band shooting. I have a show with my band on the weekend so I will give it a run. However I worry the zooms may be too slow. So I will take the Nex with the 16mm 2.8 as well, to cover the bases until I can get the Pentax 14mm 2.8 I want. Very Happy

56 DIN wrote:
shure show more, your pics are great
and your fish is probably less dangerous than your dogs, as long as you do not cross sea dog with great dane staffy

I will have to start a fishy Photography thread when I get a chance then mate. Wink

Oh and what is a 'Sea Dog' ?

NikonD wrote:
Oh my... so many fish tanks!
My local seller has about the same number of freshwater tanks, a couple of dozen marine tanks and 4500L (~1200 gallon) big marine tank.... paradise for my son and me Wink

Yeah, I have just started a 'Fish store' photo walk through series on my fish site, where I visit good local stores and showcase them. It has been really good fun and given me some access others may not always get.
I do not have any marine tanks in my collection. Sounds like the stores near you have quite a selection. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a sea dog is what you normally call seal, you have drug dogs for drugs and sea dogs for herring
means a sea dog crossed with a staffy will go for sharks Shocked
like an "under water rhodesian ridgeback" Smile
oh, i know i am out of topic or focus or whatever occurs first at 1:30 am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures from the Kx look good to me.

I saw a new Kx about 1 year ago for 29,000 yen with the kit lens in a Japanese chain store called Yamada Denki. I nearly bought it but I decided to save the money to upgrade my Nikon D3000. Still haven't upgraded the D3000 either.