Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K - Pentax M
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your sv have a light meter? You are going from a automatic es, to a boy scout sv Laughing

I'm not sure what just about it makes it "the best" but man. its a sexy piece of metal alright Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Does your sv have a light meter? You are going from a automatic es, to a boy scout sv Laughing

I'm not sure what just about it makes it "the best" but man. its a sexy piece of metal alright Cool

I have a couple of the pentaprism mounted lightmeters but I'll probably stick with my modern handheld meter. I'm quite used to manual metering with my FED2, Lubitel 2 and Moscow 5 so I think I'll manage the SV ok... Wink

K.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh mate your already a pro then Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
womble wrote:
Seems like the best plan. I had a lovely walk yesterday swapping MF lenses between my Pentax LX and my K20D. And I've just had the quote back for turning my bargain bin SV back into a working piece of beauty. So all's well with the world.

K.

I had a quote yesterday too Kris, for a service on my K2 - £75, from Asahi Photo at Brentford. Includes new seals and buffer but no other any major parts. It seems very worthwhile having it done. I'm going to drop the camera over there next week.

Kris, I thought you might appreciate an update. I took my K2 over to Asahi Photo in Brentford in early September and I still haven't had it back. As far as I can tell, it's a 1 man band, a guy called Pramath Pandya. I sent him an email in November chasing him up and he replied that he was testing it, but I haven't heard from him since. I'll be going over there to retrieve it soon, whatever state it is in. Robin at Harrow Technical was very slow with my ME Super, but this is far worse. Don't use Asahi Photo is my advice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 8 & 7 element Super-Tak 50/1.4, the S-M-C, and also the SMC M & A 50/1.4's
I'm only missing the rubber grip SMC & the K, of the 5 versions I have I like the S-M-C the most followed by the Super-Tak's 7 then 8(if it handled flare better it would be 1st as I prefer it's rendering). It's my understanding that my S-M-C is the same optically as the SMC & K.
For build quality I prefer the M42 Taks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
Regarding the difference between the K and M series: if you disassemble them then you'll see that the M series uses more aluminium, even for the helicoids. The K series uses brass for that, so purely on build quality alone the K series will always win.

I completely agree. I've long felt that the M series marked a change in policy at Pentax. Up to the K range, every new series had seen an improvement in quality. Afterwards, the emphasis was on cutting manufacturing cost.

Being a long time collector and user of Pentax glass I can say with quite certainty that the K series is optically and mechanically better than the M series. The pinnacle of Pentax glass mechanically occured with the m42 super multi coated takumars. Then they came out with later m42 lenses, the smc takumars which were a slight step down in mechanical quality. After that they came out with the smc pentax k series lenses which were optically as good or better as the smc takumars but mechanically about the same. There are some real jewels in the smc pentax k series like the 18/3.5, 28/2, 28/3.5 35/3.5 50/1.2, 85/1.8 105/2.8 135/2.5. The k series is by far my favorite lenses to use on my Pentax k mount dslr even though I do have some M and A and third party lenses that I like also.