Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-DA (18-55) lens on a full frame camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Pentax-DA (18-55) lens on a full frame camera Reply with quote

Hello,

Some test with the "new" Pentax P50 on which I mount a DA Pentax lens (18-55 kit lens), so its a lens designated for APS-C sensors. Vigneting is present from about 18mm till ~24mm. Even if the DA has no diaphragm ring the camera can control it when P exposure mode is used.
Here are some samples of a Kodak ProFoto 100 roll I used :

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cosmin, I missed this thread before...

Nice experiment!.
This lens is not so bad as reported at the forums. The fact of being part of a cheap kit says nothing about it's quality, that for me is far better than the Canon 18-55 kit.
Letting apart the vignetting, the tunnel shot is very nice!.

I know you have also a K100D, how are your experiences with old mflenses?.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting experiment. (But Canon users should be careful, the EF-S mount is different from the EF mount!)

I tried that with my Tokina 4/12-24, this lens can be mount at a FF or film cam and it show vignetting only up to 18mm, so it can be used as a 19mm lens at a FF.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

I know you have also a K100D, how are your experiences with old mflenses?.

Hello,

Well , with M42 lenses I have to compensate between +0.3 and +1 (may be +1.3) in order to achieve good exposure. It tends to underxpose. The measure is made stopped down.

With K Pentax lens (plain K, no KA) you mount the lens and you'll have an open aperture no metter the f stop selected on the lens. Before taking the shot, wou push the AE-L button at the back anf the camera closes the diaphragm, makes the light reading and memorise the data the opens the diaphragm back. The reading is more accurate (seama a you need a little -0.3 may be -0.5 because it overexposes, but I didn't econter this in all situations).
With KA Pentax mount lenses youl'll have nothing to worry about. Its exactly like with AF lenses just without the AF thing.
Hope I helped a little.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing: you must enable in the manu the using of lenses with diaphragm ring. That's important.
Of course, the manual is the best guide. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Cosmin!, that's the rough guides I needed. It seems that my M42 adapter is not adequate, so I'm in the process of getting a new one.
Mine seems to connect some of the pins at the camera, so once installed, I only get an erratic behaviour on just Av mode. (Changing the dial seems not to affect the selection).
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the adaptor is tis or like this http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/adapters/screw.jpg (there are more makes: Pentax, Kood, Hama, Kalt, etc... or just "no-name" ones) than it sould work. When using M42 lens on Av mode, the camera will change the exposure time and the diaphragm mub be turned on M (I think Helios-44M... lenses don't have one, so can be used only wide open - on a similar Zenitar 50mm I tooked out a spring from the mechanism of the lens and "transformed" the lens into a permanent M lens from a permanent A one). I think you might need a +0.5 may be even +1 compensation to make in order to acheve a good exposure (thants my case). If you use M mode, the dial on the back changes the shutter speed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
If the adaptor is tis or like this http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/adapters/screw.jpg (there are more makes: Pentax, Kood, Hama, Kalt, etc... or just "no-name" ones) than it sould work. When using M42 lens on Av mode, the camera will change the exposure time and the diaphragm mub be turned on M (I think Helios-44M... lenses don't have one, so can be used only wide open - on a similar Zenitar 50mm I tooked out a spring from the mechanism of the lens and "transformed" the lens into a permanent M lens from a permanent A one). I think you might need a +0.5 may be even +1 compensation to make in order to acheve a good exposure (thants my case). If you use M mode, the dial on the back changes the shutter speed.

I see, mine is 2mm thick over the body, whilst yours fits at the body level. That makes a difference Sad...

Thanks for such detailed info, yesterday I configured properly the camera. Today a friend of mine will lend me (hopefully) one of those original Pentax adapters and hope to be able to try it finally.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When taking off the lens, first hold the camera with the lens down , unscrew the lens , on the left of the mount/adapter, you'll se the little piece/spring of metal. With you finger nail or with the tool sold together with the adapter, push the little piese of metal towards the adapter and in the same time, turn the adapter counterclockwise. Only after that you can remove the adapter.
Yes its more tricky to use M42 adapter on Pentax than on Canon beacause the adapter in the case of Pentax must stay completely in the K Pentax's mount in order to achieve infinity focus, like here: http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/images/adapter_in_body_small.jpg (a KOOD M42 -> K Pentax adapter) . The gold ring you can see was manufatured/glued to the adapter to make able the use of only auto M42 lenses without modifying the lenses.
http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?M42_auto_adapter_Pentax_PK.html

!!! Near the red dot (http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/images/adapter_in_body_small.jpg ) on the mount you can see the piese of metal/spring I was talking above .

Hope I helped you a little.