Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax 6x7: vexing battery issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Pentax 6x7: vexing battery issue Reply with quote

I just bought a clean old Pentax 6x7 from KEH, had it for about a week. Yesterday, I finally had some time to give it a test drive, so I loaded it up with a battery and . . . that's as far as I got. It takes a 6v battery -- same as the Canon A-series and Bronica ETR-series, and probably quite a few others. Well, I didn't happen to have a new 6v battery handy, so I pulled one from an AE-1P that still had plenty of juice left -- or so I thought. The 6x7's battery check LED wouldn't light up, the shutter wouldn't fire, the mirror wouldn't go up. The meter wouldn't work.

Huh. So I dug a battery out of an A-1 and tried it out. Same difference. So next I pulled a battery from my ETRSi and it wouldn't bring the 6x7 to life either. At this point, I'm on the phone to KEH, checking with them in case I'm doing something wrong, but nope. So KEH sez they'll issue an RMA and for me to send it back.

But I still wondered if maybe I was being too rash. So I went down to the store and bought a new 6v battery. Wow, prices have changed a LOT since the last time I bought one. I was used to paying about $5-6 for one, now they're $10-12. Maybe it's cuz its a new battery chemistry now that's more expensive? The old ones were silver oxide, whereas the new ones are lithium.

Ok, so I install the new battery in the 6x7 and hey! It works! The battery check LED illuminates, the mirror pre-releases, the meter works, and the shutter fires. But now I'm wondering if maybe this old camera might have a voltage problem. I d/l'd a copy of the 6x7's manual from Butkus's site, and in a couple of different places in the manual it states that the camera's current draw is 4mA. That is a tiny amount and it sure seems to me that those used batteries should have had enough life left to handle 4mA of current draw.

So that's what has me concerned. Maybe this old camera has a slight ground leak, for example -- a tiny leak to ground somewhere that increases its current requirements -- and which will also cause a fresh battery to become exhausted faster than normal. From what I've read, these old 6x7s (and the newer 67s) are not battery hogs at all, but this one is behaving as if it might be.

So anyway, if you've got experience using one of these beasties and can give me some perspective, I'd appreciate it. I've wanted one of these cameras for the longest time and I love having one -- finally -- but I want to make sure that the one I keep will be working properly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 6x7 outfit new in 1981 and it has never had any battery issues -- I also got ' very cheap' a 6x7 Mk II in about 2004 or 2005 and it takes different batteries -- 2 x123A lithiums and I test it occasionally if not in use and SO FAR everything OK ---

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete, thanks for the feedback. I decided to go for the second model of this camera. The one that I got originally was a 6x7. I "upgraded" to a 67, hoping that any non-obvious wear to the externals and internals would be proportionally less. Well, the upgrade took care of the battery problem I was having. This new camera runs fine on used 6v batteries, whereas the other one wouldn't, so everything is good.

I've added a few items to my 67 outfit as I was able to afford them. Right now, I have the 67 body with metered finder, a 45mm f/4, 135mm f/4 macro, and 200mm f/4. I also have the gray Pentax 2x teleconverter. So I have a decent rig, so far. I'd like to add a leaf-shutter lens at some point, and maybe a fast lens, like the 105mm f/2.4.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEE=Ha !! ( Hope that is 'Texan' for : Greetings from across the Atlantic Li'l Ole England --

Thanks for feedback and glad you enjoy a new 6x7 model -- well now I see you have CANON A-1 cameras -- have you have any problems with the SHUTTER causing severe -over-exposure especially on the fast speeds 1/1000 and 1/500th ? My lovely 'Gift' A-1 is now having that trouble -- I wonder if the lubrication from a 'de-squeak ' of the mirror linkage I did about a year ago has caused it ? Do you think any oil has 'migrated' into the shutter ? I took off the base-plate again and cannot see any oil seepage.

Regards -- Peter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lubricant did you use Pete?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
YEE=Ha !! ( Hope that is 'Texan' for : Greetings from across the Atlantic Li'l Ole England --

Um . . . er . . well -- it's more like Okie for "brilliant!" I guess. Whatever a Brit would exclaim first time he got a ride in a Supermarine Spitfire, would probably be close.

Quote:
Thanks for feedback and glad you enjoy a new 6x7 model -- well now I see you have CANON A-1 cameras -- have you have any problems with the SHUTTER causing severe -over-exposure especially on the fast speeds 1/1000 and 1/500th ? My lovely 'Gift' A-1 is now having that trouble -- I wonder if the lubrication from a 'de-squeak ' of the mirror linkage I did about a year ago has caused it ? Do you think any oil has 'migrated' into the shutter ? I took off the base-plate again and cannot see any oil seepage.

Well, as you probably know, the affected area that causes the squeak is totally separate mechanically from the shutter assembly. I'm not an expert, although I've cured quite a few A-series cameras of squeaks (I use a very light machine oil, by the way, sometimes called "sewing machine oil"), but I don't think it's possible for oil to reach the shutter from that area. And even if it did, I don't see how it would cause this effect. A-1s are so common on the used market -- and most of them are as reliable now as they were when brand new -- that it makes more sense just buying another. I have three or four that I didn't actually intentionally acquire. I think it was a matter of them coming along with other FD items I wanted. And now I'm trying to sell my overstocks on eBay and it's taking forever . . .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply -- I used 'Three-in-One' oil just a touch not a squirt !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um . . . er . . well -- it's more like Okie for "brilliant!" I guess. Whatever a Brit would exclaim first time he got a ride in a Supermarine Spitfire, would probably be close.

FUC*ING ARS*HOLES!!!......... Shocked Shocked Shocked

I see what you mean Smile Very Happy