Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 50 1.8 =pancolar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you were wrong!

You answered my question with the answer to a completely different question!

Learn to admit when you are wrong! It will make you less annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It will make you less annoying.

...says the most friendly participant of this forum. What a surprise!

BTW, you are very predictable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Zeiss Prakticar 1.8/50 is the same lens as the Pancolar 1.8/50, same as the Prakticar 3.5/135 is a Sonnar and the Prakticar 2.4/35 is a Flektogon.

For some unknown reason, Zeiss dropped the traditional names when they produced the bayonet mount lenses.

Whether there are any differences between the late MC Zeiss lenses in M42 and the bayonet mount Prakticas I simply do not know, the designs are probably the same, but I think the coatings are different as my late MC M42 Pancolar 1.8/50 has different looking coatings to my Prakticar 1.8/50s.

I agree 100 percent with Mo that this is interesting stuff - so thanks for you input. But can you tell me your source for this info? I'd like to broaden my knowledge still further about the commercial and political intricacy of the East German photographic industry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. old Pentacon 1.8/50 (Oreston 1.8/50) ist sharper then Pancolar 1.8/50 at wide open
2. new MC Pentacon 1.8/50 is sharper then MC Pancolar 1.8/50 at wide open
3. old Pentacon 1.8/50 (Oreston 1.8/50) ist sharper then MC Pentacon 1.8/50

by experience

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might two reasons that lens names desappeared.
Marketing purposes to push Praktica and Prakticar brands and make communication clearer for customers.
or
It is in the contract signed with Zeiss BDR. Note that also reference to Jena seems to be forbidden.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Marketing purposes to push Praktica and Prakticar brands and make communication clearer for customers.

I was thinking "if" it is a Pancolar this may be the case, a change in marketing, but it would still be nice to have a source.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking "if" it is a Pancolar this may be the case, a change in marketing, but it would still be nice to have a source.

I'm rather sure that I could find out and report here as much more information is available in German language. But I'm rather fed up already to participate further in this discussion.
Thanks for understanding. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understandable Thomas, it would be nice to have some reference material,and its more likely to be in German than English.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I love the 2/50 Pancolar (I have 7 of these lenses)
Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with Pancolar. I have found the Meyer Oreston and Pentacon version to be virtually equal. I prefer the Oreston just because I prefer the earlier Meyer name and build with no other good reason. I do consider the Oreston a very good bargain, especially in comparison to the Primoplan which renders similarly. Love the close focusing of the Oreston and rapid fall-off into creamy bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
mo wrote:
I love the 2/50 Pancolar (I have 7 of these lenses)
Shocked

Not as mad as it seems (well I don't think it is) I am trying to collect a small sample across all the serial numbers...I have a few more to get.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, keep an eye out for the 2/50 Flexon, this is a Pancolar too but under a different name, it came only in Praktina mount.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian well aware of the flexon,they don't turn up too often down here and I miss them when they do.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't turn up often in England either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a comparison of the two and you can appreciate the differences.
http://forum.mflenses.com/pancolar-and-pentacon-50mm-1-8-mc-test-t22717.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francotirador: on your shots the Pancolar seems sharper than the Pentacon at 1.8 and 2.8 .

I have some questions.

There are two Pancolars 1.8 : 4 and 5 groups.
i have a Zebra. How could I know which version I have ?
What are the differences in terms of rendition between those two versions ( I am not talking about the late MC version) ?
Is the 4 groups version similar to the f2 version ?
Why do you prefer the f2 ?

Many questions .....sorry.
Thanks for your answers.

PS:
I have no Pentacon-Oreston but my impression is that it has a busier bokeh than my Pancolar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question, I love the Oreston's buttery painty bokeh when taken at min focus (30 cm?). Can the Pancolar focus as close and can it do buttery painty bokeh too?

I have the Oreston double zebra, and am looking for another copy, wonder if I should get an Oreston again (which version would you suggest?) or the Pancolar (which version would you suggest?)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a good question. The meyer will be much cheaper. I just picked up a copy for 35 USD on the bay a few days ago. I had attached my previous example to a Nova IB I gave to a 14 yo son of a coworker that seemed interested in film photography. The pancolar will focus close as well. It is sharper but the meyer beats it on bokeh IMHO. You might get the pancolar 1.8 for about twice the money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably it's differ between versions but I think it's 33cm for the Pancolar, don't know if I think i has painty bokeh for that I use Chinon/Revuenon 55mm 1.7😊

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
Probably it's differ between versions but I think it's 33cm for the Pancolar, don't know if I think i has painty bokeh for that I use Chinon/Revuenon 55mm 1.7😊

Wow, I might have to get that lens now!!