Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 4/200 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Pentacon 4/200 M42 Reply with quote

Picked this one up for 14ukp, needed a dusting but is in optically great condition, largely because it has a Hoya skylight 1B filter attached. Wee bit of haze on rear element, not tried cleaning it off yet.

Definitley a lot better than the three Japanese 200mm lenses I have, I like the colours and contrast and I think it's pretty sharp although not upto the standards of my Petri 1.8/55 or Tair-3C 300mm.

All in all, I think my 14 quid was well spent, I'm starting a collection of Meyer/Pentacon lenses, just picked up a 3.5/135 Meyer as well...

No PP at all on these shots, exactly as they came out of the cam, some slight cropping on a couple of them:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots for 14 ukp, doubly nice for 200mm handheld. The young man on the bike is nice and sharp with good color.

I'm getting to know your neighbourhood well Smile

Consistently shooting the same things on your walkabouts gives us an easy way to compare lenses, at the end of the year you should do a "best/worst of utility pole" retrospective!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Nice shots for 14 ukp, doubly nice for 200mm handheld. The young man on the bike is nice and sharp with good color.

I'm getting to know your neighbourhood well Smile

Consistently shooting the same things on your walkabouts gives us an easy way to compare lenses, at the end of the year you should do a "best/worst of utility pole" retrospective!

Yeah, I do actually consciously shoot the same subjects all the time, it allows me to, as you say, compare lenses more easily...

I have a thing for telegraph poles, not sure what it is, probably the patterns the wires make...

Shutter speed for them all was 320/sec 100 ISO, various apertures, was a bright afternoon and I waited till 5.30pm so the sun was low in the sky as I like the high contrast it gives.

I'm going to do a proper comparative test of all 5 of my 200mm lenses over the weekend as well as all 5 of my 135mms, going to get rid of three of each, keeping just the best two 200s and best two 135s, I expect I'll be keeping this Pentacon and my Jupter 11A and Meyer Primotar 135s.

Quick test shot this afternoon with the Primotar, looks to be very similar in IQ to it's Pentacon big brother...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

The first is a bit underexposed.

Another doesn't seem to me very sharp. Handheld used, yes.

And the 9 and 10 are fantastic (with the Messi boy) I'm argentine. Wink

The pentacon colors rendering is one of the more neutral.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
iangreenhalgh1

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

The first is a bit underexposed.

Another doesn't seem to me very sharp. Handheld used, yes.

And the 9 and 10 are fantastic (with the Messi boy) I'm argentine. Wink

The pentacon colors rendering is one of the more neutral.

Regards, Rino.

Hola Rino,

thanks for the kind words. One of the problems with shooting late afternoon here is the low angle of the sun makes exposures tricky, I should have shot them in RAW really. However, the low sun angle makes for some beautiful highlights like on the left hand side of the boys and the right hand side of the lady in the beige cardigan.

I'm happy with this lens and looking forward to using it some more this weekend.