Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 29mm v Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 29mm v Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm Reply with quote

Just a couple of quick snaps I took to compare a £30.00 lens to a £300.00 lens on my Canon EOS 5D, both at around f/4:

Pentacon

CZ

Pentacon - 100% crop

CZ - 100% crop

Pentacon - 100% crop

CZ - 100% crop

My Pentacon 29/2.8 is what I would class as a sharp copy. I think if I was just printing reasonable size photos, I wouldn't care too much, but anything bigger and the sharpness of the Zeiss is more noticable IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference is not too much I will be happy if I have Pentacon only thank you for your time and share results!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...any reason why f4 as in the UK ATM light in sunshine @ 200asa/iso is usually 1/250 @f5.6, f8 or even f11 (appx reflection from Kodak grey)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kind of funny comparison. I like it Smile! It's only when looking at crop one notice the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Interesting...any reason why f4 as in the UK ATM light in sunshine @ 200asa/iso is usually 1/250 @f5.6, f8 or even f11 (appx reflection from Kodak grey)

Perhaps because at F8-F11 almost any lens good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Interesting...any reason why f4 as in the UK ATM light in sunshine is usually 1/250 @f5.6, f8 or even f11 (appx reflection from Kodak grey)

Yep, I was in a rush as we didn't see much sun that day Laughing Looking at the EXIF, it looks like the zoom was stopped down one stop more and the original VS shot was overexposed by around a stop, which may account for some of the difference.

Therefore, I reckon the Pentacon was actually at f/4 and the zoom at f/5.6.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparison, I expected it would be fairly close with the V-S winning.

If you have one, try the Pentacon PB 2.8/28 against the V-S, I find that's a better lens than either the 2.8/29 Pentacon or the 3.5/30 Pentacon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the performance of the Pentacon in this case looks remarkable, I think the difference is enough to classify one as a very-good-for-the-price prime lens and the other as a top notch zoom.
I'm not looking them on my usual monitor, so I may be wrong, but that's my impression.

Surely I remember my Pentacon 29 looking worse than this when I used it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
While the performance of the Pentacon in this case looks remarkable, I think the difference is enough to classify one as a very-good-for-the-price prime lens and the other as a top notch zoom.
I'm not looking them on my usual monitor, so I may be wrong, but that's my impression.

Surely I remember my Pentacon 29 looking worse than this when I used it.

I agree.

Pentacon 29s very a lot, I have a earlier Meyer one and it was great but had weak edges wide open. Other copies I've seen were not as good, but a good copy is a fine lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, those sheeps crop is so nice with Sonar