Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 2.8/135 - first shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 2.8/135 - first shots Reply with quote

The lens (older version 15 blades) came with a Domiplan and a Praktica Nova for not very much. After a good clean I took it out today.

Here are 3 shots of the same subject (Canna iridiflora) from different angles. Pentacon 2.8/135 at f/8 on Nikon D40x with Kood infinity (glass) adapter; RAW capture with moderate PP.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this Kood works fine for close captures. Have you tried at near infinity ? My noname glass adapter performed quite well for close and was horrible for longer distance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors seem a bit shallow.

From a nikon camera i'd expect a bit more color saturation. Or is it the lens?

I liked the bokeh.
Second photo sharp is right on!
Keep them coming. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of the potential problem you describe Attila. I usually use 135s for plant "portraits". However I often take a shot of something in the medium or longer distance as I'm walking home. Here's one from today - it's not infinity but 30 m - maybe.

Full frame - sharpened in reduction - Bicubic Sharper

100% crop - no sharpening

More generally, I find focussing at long distances difficult anyway - with a variety of lenses including the Jupiter 37A with a Nikon mount and the Telear-N, also with a Nikon mount. I had thought about the adapter - when using it - but it could also be my eyesight or technique. I'm not sure how I can do a test which will distinguish between the different possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no evidence of lens adapter did present Shocked this lens is not sharper even without adapter. Might be I did never sell my D50 if I did know this adapter exists! Fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Attila - I think that I was lucky when I started my MFLens career. The Kood was the only infinity adapter that I'd heard of when I bought it and I had absolutely no idea how it would work.

@Barata - thanks for your comments. I agree that the second picture is the best. I included the third because of the bokeh. the colours are not right. however the problem is with the editor - ME. After about a year of shooting in JPEG only I now shoot in RAW+JPEG. Unfortunately the camera only allows "basic" JPEGs. These are unusuable because of artefacts but they give me some idea of the colours I might like.

Here's the JPEG for #3 - straight from the camera after cropping and resizing - there's quite alot in in-camera sharpening..

... and here it is after editing - to my taste ...

The colour of the flower is spot-on - on my monitor. Unfortunately I haven't been able to extract this from the RAW file - yet! Perhaps I'll have another go later today.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see this kood adapter perform on f2.8