Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 135 v. CZJ Sonnar 135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Pentacon 135 v. CZJ Sonnar 135 Reply with quote

hi all,

I managed to snag a (damaged) Pentacon 135 non-zebra non-preset for $21 on ebay this morning. Will be 2 weeks before i can shoot with it..

Is the zebra/preset Pentacon the same optical formulation as the later auto version? the Pentacon is supposed to be 5 elements, the CZJ Sonnar is only 4 elements?

I'd assume the zebra/preset Pentacon has better bokeh stopped down than the auto (since the auto only has 5 or 6 blades) but wide-open are they equivalent?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Pentacon/Orestor is 5/4, while Sonnar (or Jupiter) is 4/3. All variants of Pentacon/Orestor should be based on the same optical scheme. The auto and auto-MC version has 6 blades, so bokeh is affected when stopped down.

Sonnar/Jupiter is really sharper at f/3.5-f/4, but differences can be seen even at f/5-f8.

I think pre-set Pentacon/Orestor or Jupiter-37A (or AM-MC) have the best price/performance ratio Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all variants of Pentacon. I vote for zebra labeled to Pentacon as best bokeh lens what I have it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later Pentacon is amazingly sharp...great lens to have!