Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 135/2.8 zebra chromatic abberation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't mind if a lens uses 6 curved blades that form a circular aperture than a 15 blade one. But I can see why people would prefer the circular bokeh than the hexagonal one. Also the hype and just the fact owning a 15-blade equipped lens sounds good. But yes, you can't judge a lens only on the number of blades the aperture has.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, I tried to sell one of my two PB mount copies and the first guy who sold it sent it back because it had 6 blades, not 15. Second time I listed it at least 6 people asked how many blades it has. Second buyer now won't pay.

Having tried the two, the difference in bokeh between the 6 and 15 blade versions is minimal and wide open non-existent.

I have grown to hate the term bokeh, I only use it because it's easier than writing 'the quality of the rendering of the out of focus areas'.

Number of aperture blades is probably the last thing I would consider when buying a lens.

Actually Ian, and at the risk of sounding heretical, I'm of a similar mind in that I tend to see lenses only as tools to get a suitable angle of view for a shot and generally don't really consider things like bokeh or blades for example. Bokeh and rendering is subjective anyway as can be seen from the myriad of discussions on various forums. I think my mindset may well stem from when I started out and had little to no choice of equipment so simply made do with what I had and could afford.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I think my mindset may well stem from when I started out and had little to no choice of equipment so simply made do with what I had and could afford.

I can identify strongly with that Bob.

I agree with you Ian about this modern fad for bokeh quality, but looking at it from the other direction, I don't like using lenses that have a harsh and uncomfortable bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree about harsh bokeh, I don't think I have any lenses with unpleasant bokeh to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I've found the 6 blade version just as sharp as the 15 blade version. The difference is definitely there in the bokeh though, not necessarily the round highlights but in the way the background is rendered so creamily. It's really great for portraits Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, both the 1.8/50 and 2.8/135 PB mount versions are slightly better then the M42 versions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and something else, what info can one get from the lens' serial number?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some shot with my PB 135 f2.8 Pentacon. It's not the zebra version, it's the one with a built in lens hood.

http://forum.mflenses.com/prakticar-2-8-135mm-mc-pentacon-lots-of-samples-t47963.html

If you need any more shot let me know!