Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panagor PMC 3.8/80-200mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:55 am    Post subject: Panagor PMC 3.8/80-200mm Reply with quote

Since my recently acquired Panagor PMC 3.5/35-100mm turned out to be quite a fun lens I couldn't resist to get the Panagor PMC 3.8/80-200mm tele zoom too. It's manufactured as well as the 3.5/35-100mm, and bot lenses seem to be perfect companions, at least from the outside:

The engravings are very well made:

While the 35-100mm has some weaknesses at f3.5 as well as at f5.6, the 3.8/80-200mm turns out be really a sharp beast at all foval lengths (80mm, 120mm, 200mm) as well as at all apertures (f3.8, f6.7, f11). That's pretty astonishing, although lateral CAs are visible at f=80mm as well as at f=120, and pretty strong at f=200mm. These findings from my preliminary tests are well in accordance with the "pentaxforums" ranking: 9.5 for sharpness and 7.5 for aberrations ...

Certainly a lens I will examine a bit closer ...!

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that lens before, under a different brand name mark.

A quick, and not so perfect search suggests this is Kino manufactured. That thick focusing collar and stepped nose look familiar though~ if not vivitar branded, something close.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the position of the small screws on the barrel part that contains the DOF scale, I would say Komine.
I also have Kino 75-205mm 3.8 Vivitar. The screws are higher up and the ring with the focus mark is slanted a bit instead of 90 degrees. Both are from 1980.

This is my Komine made Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5

Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5 mc zoom by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were quite a few different vivitar variations of the 80-200mm, 7 or 8 IIRC, without counting the series 1 line-up.

I know I've had that lens pass through my hands in either a f3.5 or f4 , more than once. It's probably at my sister's place, either in c-fd mount, or n-a.i.. I think I have a komine f4.5 or 2 in the deep closet here. It will take a bit of time to get at those.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I immediately thought it might have a Vivitar twin as well, but check out how short the focus throw on the Panagor is. I don't recall any of the Vivitar variants I've seen having such a short throw.
Jaca definitely sold the well-regarded 55mm and 90mm Komine macros sold as Vivitars under both Panagor branding and as dental lenses under Elicar branding, so Komine is a known supplier for them.

Doc Sharptail wrote:
There were quite a few different vivitar variations of the 80-200mm, 7 or 8 IIRC, without counting the series 1 line-up.

I know I've had that lens pass through my hands in either a f3.5 or f4 , more than once. It's probably at my sister's place, either in c-fd mount, or n-a.i.. I think I have a komine f4.5 or 2 in the deep closet here. It will take a bit of time to get at those.

-D.S.