Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pacific Optical 25mm f/1.0 - medium format lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Pacific Optical 25mm f/1.0 - medium format lens Reply with quote

I might be recieving one of these monsters in a few weeks for a film shoot i'm involved in. Only 3 made. one of them was completely lost.
I was told it cost a whopping 250.000$ to produce these lenses.

Weight: 20kg
Image circle: 55mm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me imaging this lens on my Nex-5n Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:

Yeah, should be just the ticket for handheld shooting in dark bars and around the house.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Yeah, should be just the ticket for handheld shooting in dark bars (...)

Try to photograph people unnoticed using that lens. People would run away screaming if you pointed it at them! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:

You'd need someone like Arnold Zwarzenegger to carry it around though, hehe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Smile you will need a good tripod Wink
I would love to see some results of that lens.

Is it fisheye or a gnomonic wide angle bye the way?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine right now what these may have been (or are) good for.

The weight suggests a tripod.

If you have a tripod, you can use 1 s and don't need 1.0.

At 1.0, there is no DOF.

At 1.0, it will have something like 40 lpmm max I'd think.

There is one thing I will grant: 400 and above film sucks much more than 100 film. So it may be useful to be able to use 100 film (or Provia 400). But then, what's the point? People were going to lug this thing around to use 100 iso film and like, 1/500 s for capturing moving things? It's not even a tele (could imagine that, a monopod and a Pentacon Six).. You are seriously using MF/1.0 for moving objects?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be using this lens for aerial night shots using a light sensative 5x5cm ccd at 24fps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! PO is (was, actually) a famous lens maker that produced custom made lenses.
I have a 1200mm lens here, not as heavy and fast as this one but also 3 ever made.

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a perfect lens for that purpose Smile

buerokratiehasser wrote:
At 1.0, there is no DOF.

? 25mm f/1 the DOF is comparable thin but I guess easily handleable? Or?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the planned used at infinity (aerial lens), the f1 and 25mm shouldn't have been an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly mammoth ... $250.000 ... 20kg .. !!

Let's hope Samyang will make this kind of lens! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lpmm do 35mm lenses do at 0.95 or 1.2 ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f1.0 at 25mm shouldn't cause any problems at infinity.

I'm more worried about these lenses as they won't be focused at infinity.

Optics corp 135mm F/0.7 (30kg, 64mm image circle)
Kollmorgen 153mm F/1.0 (70mm image circle)
Super Farron 87mm F/0.87 (40mm image circle)
Canon 25mm F/0.78 (c-mount?)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tv lens is not big deal, i got several f/1.6 and so on, pretty common, that I use as film loupes. their image circle is lets just say, substandard, you can also say TV.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, projection lenses for these formats. Cip revuenon 1.6/17-30. The view through this one at 17mm is a few mm wide so you can check in 50 lpmm range and up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collections of "doorstops" if you don't have a specially designed camera back with very short register for those lenses. I have a few of those too, like that Canon or Super-Farron. Don't you have the Fuji 0.7/50mm - I'm missing that in your list Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Nice collections of "doorstops" if you don't have a specially designed camera back with very short register for those lenses. I have a few of those too, like that Canon or Super-Farron. Don't you have the Fuji 0.7/50mm - I'm missing that in your list Wink

No KDS, i don't have the Fuji 0.7/50. Would love to get my hands on one though! What mount does it have?

buerokratiehasser wrote:
tv lens is not big deal, i got several f/1.6 and so on, pretty common, that I use as film loupes. their image circle is lets just say, substandard, you can also say TV.

Our 5k resolution Red Epic (APS-C) allows us to window the image down to 2K, which is big enough to cover pretty much all C-mount lenses without vignetting. It works the same as GH2's ETC mode.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fuji 0.7/50mm is a standard c-mount lens, weighs about 1 kilo. There is also the Fujinon 0.85/25mm
in that same series. Much lighter, like your Canon TV-17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the maybe stupid question but why is non-infinity a problem with such a 25/1.0?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Sorry for the maybe stupid question but why is non-infinity a problem with such a 25/1.0?

PMFJI. Look at the lens. No provision for focusing. These lenses are made to be collimated to the camera body with shims.

I was at SKGrimes on Wednesday, saw a customer's 87 Super Farron. It had been mounted in a Compound #5 shutter (top speed 1/50) and had been attached to a 4x5 Graflok. Will shoot a small, soft circular image on a sheet of 4x5 film. One has to wonder what the customer has in mind to do with it.