Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Overview of all Zeiss Sonnar 5cm f/1.5 aka 50mm f/1.5 versio
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Overview of all Zeiss Sonnar 5cm f/1.5 aka 50mm f/1.5 versio Reply with quote

Posted by Rauber @RFF
Some of you guys might know it already. I'm working on an overview of all Sonnar 5cm f/1,5 versions. It is not finished yet. But I think it could be valuable for some of you to publish it anyway.

vividlyfading.blogspot.com

There are already 2 posts there about the Sonnar 5cm f/1,5 and Ludwig Bertele that invented it.

Photos are missing and will be coming soon. Some of the technical specs are missing but I want to redo the measurings again before posting them all. I will update the posts on this blog as I finish the documentation. So you should be coming back for more Sonnar stuff.

I can give a quick roadmap too.

images of lenses
full spec sheet
serial numbers
Trivia
Zeiss History 1800-Today

Comments are welcome.

----
started 2021 with collecting some information, some serials, some specs. I'm writing now for over 6 month. The amount of things I do not know is huge. So I do a lot of research before putting it to paper. But I'm far away from knowing everything yet. I might know some stuff even Brian, Skyllaney or Marco Cavina do not know but it is not much. But I will share as much as possible. The goal is to bundle all information possible about the Sonnar 5cm to provide a solid knowledge base for future users.

I added the first images of Sonnar lenses. Added samples of the very first Sonnar 5cm f/1,5 kindly provided by @titrisol. More will come.

I struggle a bit with blogger. It is not a very good choice if you want to use a lot of images in articles. And people might not even notice what articles are already on the blog. So here is a page with links to the Sonnar version overview and historical background of this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Thank you! for sharing with us! Keep it up!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful work, very interesting and important. I have the Canon 1.5/50mm, probably dating from 1953-54, and which is type 4 according to Kitchingman Canon M39 rangefinder lenses 1939-1971. Very nice lens.
I am looking forward to see more of your work appaering in the website.
Lex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not my work, it is from Rauber (Roy M) who has been compiling and analyzing data for a few years

I had a first batch Sonnar (1932) and he helped me find information and finally find a good buyer for it.

The whole thread is incredibly informative
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/threads/overview-of-all-zeiss-sonnar-5cm-f-1-5-aka-50mm-f-1-5-versions.4816253/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now RAUBER has done it again!!!

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/threads/overview-of-all-regular-zeiss-sonnar-5cm-f-2-aka-50mm-f-2-versions.4816761/

Some might know my overview of all regular Zeiss Sonnar 5cm f/1.5 versions. I created a second overview featuring the Sonnar 5cm f/2. Here it is.

https://vividlyfading.blogspot.com/2024/07/zeiss-sonnar-50mm-f2-regular-versions.html

It shows all regular versions I could find over the years of this vintage lens. I excluded all prototypes, so called fakes and Frankenstein lenses, customized examples or variations produced because of fabrication inconsistency.

The guide is not finished yet. When you look into it you might notice that the explanations are missing. I will add this later. Consider this overview as work in progress. It might take some time to finish it. There is still a lot to do.

You will find a link to a spread sheet with a complete overview of all regular versions and their technical data too. Feel free to use this data.

When you find some strange inconsistencies, missing or wrong information then let me know. There are some holes in this overview I might not be able to fill. So any help is appreciated. Enjoy the documentation. It might be useful for some collectors and photographers here.

A small note. Unfortunately Google is not finding my blog and the overviews. So people looking up the Sonnar 5cm will not find it. (Google does not show a Google blog???) To bad since I created it especially for all those people that find a Sonnar 5cm by chance and want to know what they have there. Fortunately Google shows threads from this forum. So I will keep pushing this thread so people can find the overview.