Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Opinions on the Tamron sp 500/8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Opinions on the Tamron sp 500/8? Reply with quote

I was looking through a few old camera things at a recycle shop in Japan and found a Tamron sp 500/8 marked for 480 yen (5 US dollars). Problem (for me) was that it had the Canon FD mount attached. I need the Nikon Ai or pre Ai mount.

So I need some advice.

How easy is it to find a Nikon Adaptall mount and about how much are they?

Is the lens any good? Is it even worth looking for the mount?

And last question... If I find an Adaptall mount for Nikon, can I use on other Tamron Adaptall lenses?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Tamron sp 500/8? Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
I was looking through a few old camera things at a recycle shop in Japan and found a Tamron sp 500/8 marked for 480 yen (5 US dollars). Problem (for me) was that it had the Canon FD mount attached. I need the Nikon Ai or pre Ai mount.

So I need some advice.

And last question... If I find an Adaptall mount for Nikon, can I use on other Tamron Adaptall lenses?

Thanks in advance.

Aren't all SP 500/8 an Adaptall lenses?
If that's the case, then you haven't anything to worry about, eBay is loaded with them.

Also, for the final question, the answer is yes.
An Adaptall Adapter will fit on any Adaptall lens.
However, I'm not sure about the older versions etc(is. Adaptall 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John

I'm still a real newbie when it comes to manual lenses, especially those that aren't Nikkor so appreciate the help

I can't use the Bay over here. It's Yahoo Auctions all the way. I'll have another search on there for an Nikon adaptall mount. I'm getting confused about which Adaptall mount (1 or 2) I should get.
Confused

Edit: Is this the mount I should buy?

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/146901503

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if I may --

Yes, the Tamron 500/8 is an adaptall-2 lens and any adaptall-2 mount can be used with it. And yes, if I were you, I would most definitely buy it . . . and then sell it to me Cool I'd be willing to offer you a 1000% profit -- $50. Oh well, it's worth a shot, isn't it?

Now, as regards to finding Tamron Adaptall-2 Nikon mounts, their availability can fluctuate. It looks like, at this time, US eBay has a decent selection of them. The BINs are predictably overpriced, and the auctions you'll have to wait for but you'll probably get an Adaptall-2 mount for a better price. This isn't always the case. You might find that the best way to get a desirable Adaptall-2 mount like Nikon is to buy a lens that has the mount included. Then sell the lens. Or keep it, up to you. I've had to do this before.

Now, given that this is a mirror with a fixed aperture, there's no reason why you need to go with a Tamron-brand AD-2 mount. Unless you think you might add more Tamron lenses to your arsenal in the future. You can buy one of the more inexpensive Chinese-made Tamron adapters for Nikon mount, which do not offer aperture control, but then you won't need it with the 500/8 mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold three Nikon N-AI original Adaptall-2's on ebay in January. They went for @ $25 each.

So prices can be pretty low even for the original ones.

You should be able to get new Chinese-made Nikon Adaptall-2 mounts anytime. But these have no aperture linkages I believe. So you would use manual aperture only.

If you can't use ebay, there may be some other international sellers/shops you can use ?

http://www.keh.com/camera/Tamron-Adaptall-Lenses-Miscellaneous-Accessories/1/sku-TL390090409530?r=FE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Tamron sp 500/8? Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:

So I need some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, now that lens goes for US$150-300 on ebaY.

Adaptall-2 mount for Nikon on ebaY go for US$20-US$40, don't know about yahoo, sorry. Did you look in MFlenses Marletplace? or post want ad here, some member here has extra most likely!

Recently some members have posted imho stunning images made using the lens. Use search link top of this page, for Tamron 500mm

Yes, all Adaptall-2 mounts work on all Adaptall-2 lenses, they truly adapt all Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Tamron sp 500/8? Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Adaptall-2 mount for Nikon on ebaY go for US$20-US$40, don't know about yahoo, sorry.

I think the lower price these days is $180. For the adapter, a better deal might be to get an adaptall-2 lens that comes with it. Something like the 80-210 for $40 with N/AI adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens! Go for it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Great lens! Go for it!

+100

ANY Tamron lens is worth $5 Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice, everyone. I'll go back tomorrow and get it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Tamron sp 500/8? Reply with quote

[quote="Laurentiu Cristofor"]
visualopsins wrote:

For anyone in Japan, recycle shops in the provincial cities and towns seem to be great places for bargain manual lenses and film cameras. Lastest purchase was a spotmatic sp (meter doesn't seem to work at the moment, though) with 55/1.8 (bit of fungus) and 150/4 (clean) for about 20 dollars with case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Tamron sp 500/8? Reply with quote

[quote="Yebisu"]
Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

For anyone in Japan, recycle shops in the provincial cities and towns seem to be great places for bargain manual lenses and film cameras. Lastest purchase was a spotmatic sp (meter doesn't seem to work at the moment, though) with 55/1.8 (bit of fungus) and 150/4 (clean) for about 20 dollars with case.

Japan is country of origin of these lenses. It is no a surprise there are many bargains there.... The famous Japanese eBay seller always offers some good lens at cheap price.

BTW, We have few memebers from Japan. Remember visit this forum if you have spare time.